Thread: WANTED - Francis Barker box/terrestrial sextant

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

WANTED - Francis Barker box/terrestrial sextant

I seek a box or terrestrial sextant - that is, the small pocketable model that was used primarily on land by British army officer's. These sextants were developed and patented circa 1802. My preference is for one made by Francis Barker after World War II. Having typed that, a similar terrestrial sextant made in the twentieth century in Great Britain would be acceptable.

What I am uninterested in buying is one of the non-functional copies made in India. Currently, the "brand" name on such Indian decorative sextants is "Stanley of London," which does not mean that all brass terrestrial sextants of this brand name are bogus.
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    We generally don't need these as the range sits pretty much to the north/northeast and still hasn't moved.

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by R. McAuley 3014V View Post
    Is this what you are seeking? Or you want one less expensive?

http://www.stanleylondon.com/sext-box.htm
    Correct sextant - BUT this is one of the bogus ones, made in India. Were you to read blurb within their index page, you would notice that two or three of their "ship's" sextants they identify as fully functional. I have queried them and several Indian manufacturers to have one of these rendered fully functional. No replies.
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Can't help but wondering, wouldn't purchasing a Garmen or some other GPS devise be an easier way to find out where you are?

Team:
    34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry
    3020V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Can't help but wondering, wouldn't purchasing a Garmen or some other GPS devise be an easier way to find out where you are?
    Someone might ask one of us, "Why don't you get an AR 15 instead of one of them smokepoles? You can shoot a lot faster before reloading and the AR ain't as dirty."
    Gil Davis Tercenio
    # 3020V
    34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry
    Great, great grandson of Cpl Elijah S Davis, Co I, 6th Alabama Inf CSA

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    5795V
    Region:
    Gil.......the AR15 jus burns right through most of our target without breaking them. Seen a pigeon with three holes in it once.
    We'll jus have ta stick with our smokepoles.
    Never squat with yer spurs on!!!

Pat "PJ" Kelly #5795V
    Virginny & Texas
    540-878-8024

MAYNARDS RULE!! & starr's DROOL!
    Hence the rust. MAYNARDAE LAUS DEO!

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    You are correct. Much easier to buy and use a GPS system. I prefer to use a more arcane device and skill. . . . I wonder whether use of sextants is still a standard skill of navigators in the U.S. Navy? I believe Morse code is still taught as part of pilot training.

Obtaining a good brass, bronze, or aluminum sextant is easy to achieve. The ultraportable sextant I seek is a scarcer item. Although the basic device was patented just after 1800, apparently it was used primarily on land - infantry officers, exploring officers, explorers, etc. It was also used in a few instances as a "lifeboat" sextant.

Please note that I have not, and will not, indulge in end-of-world fantasies to justify my wanting such technology. It's just a different, albeit useful, skill that was essential.

Hope this explains my wanting this device more clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post