Thread: Smoothbore pistol loads

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    8130V
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana

Smoothbore pistol loads

What loads and ball size are the smoothbore pistol shooters using in the 42 Johnson and Aston smoothbores? I assume the same rules apply to the pistols as to the smoothbore muskets regarding patches. I know the swivel ramrod can't be used for loading. What are the targets used for this competition?
    Thanks

Team:
    149th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    What bullet to use will be determined by your bore size. If using an original bore, go with the Lyman .535 RB. If your bore is big or you have it relined, honed, or lapped, you may need to obtain a mould from Jeff Tanner in England. Very good to deal with. Moulds are cheap too. Simple moulds made of brass. If you want to pay top dollar, go to Moose moulds. He makes real nice ones. I'll be entertaining him for a mould this Winter but not a RB. Approx. 30 grs. of 3f GOEX is a good starting point. If your bore is big, you may rough up the Lyman .535 so it fits snuggly. Lubes you can experiment with but I use Alox. You can use a 1/2" dowel as a ramrod. No sight changes can be made. Targets are standard 25 and 50 revolver targets at 25 and 50. You can have a 2# trigger pull. Clearing will be done by one cap down range and one at the ground in front of you. Don't expect too much out of these yet. As time goes by and shooters begin to figure them out, scores will begin edging upward. The last Nat'ls a 66 took 1st. at 25 and a 55 at 50. So get in on the ground floor while the gettins good. Practice, practice, practice because your aiming point may not be on the paper. You'll need to figure that out before the Nat'ls. Ask questions when you get there. Advice is free. It's a lot of fun and starting to catch on. Good luck.

Regards
    Eric Fritz 149PVI
    When in doubt, mumble, when in trouble, delegate.

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Eric's advice is spot on! I think you will really enjoy an entirely new frustration level! Seriously, we need something to challenge us every now and then.

JDH

Team:
    8130V
    Region:

Smile Thanks

Thanks for the info Eric, I'll give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by efritz View Post
    What bullet to use will be determined by your bore size. If using an original bore, go with the Lyman .535 RB. If your bore is big or you have it relined, honed, or lapped, you may need to obtain a mould from Jeff Tanner in England. Very good to deal with. Moulds are cheap too. Simple moulds made of brass. If you want to pay top dollar, go to Moose moulds. He makes real nice ones. I'll be entertaining him for a mould this Winter but not a RB. Approx. 30 grs. of 3f GOEX is a good starting point. If your bore is big, you may rough up the Lyman .535 so it fits snuggly. Lubes you can experiment with but I use Alox. You can use a 1/2" dowel as a ramrod. No sight changes can be made. Targets are standard 25 and 50 revolver targets at 25 and 50. You can have a 2# trigger pull. Clearing will be done by one cap down range and one at the ground in front of you. Don't expect too much out of these yet. As time goes by and shooters begin to figure them out, scores will begin edging upward. The last Nat'ls a 66 took 1st. at 25 and a 55 at 50. So get in on the ground floor while the gettins good. Practice, practice, practice because your aiming point may not be on the paper. You'll need to figure that out before the Nat'ls. Ask questions when you get there. Advice is free. It's a lot of fun and starting to catch on. Good luck.

Regards
    Eric Fritz 149PVI

Team:
    Region:
    A couple of other things to note.
    No patches.
    Round balls only.
    Smoothbore only.
    Can be percussion or flint. Observe flint rules and regs.
    No team shooting. This is individual paper targets only.
    Medals for 25 yd. 50y and Agg. This is not included into any other Agg. whatsoever.
    There being no known repro being manufactured today all approved arms were taken from Flaydermans 8th edition if they met the criteria for what constitutes military used arms.
    To name a few;
    Johnson, Waters, Ames, Aston, and certain model years I think beginning with 1805 up to and NOT including the model 1855 which was rifled. Some models had rear sights, if want to call them that. You could probably do just as well using the tang screw slot as a reference rear sight. Some of the approved arms are rare and very expensive. I doubt anyone would shoot one even if they had one. But, they were included in the event someone wanted to begin making a repro. Aston's seem to be kind of readily available in the $700-$1400 range. Can be got for $800+ in some instances. Johnson's are around. They have a rear sight. Flints command more money, they being original and not converted. I think I heard someone was shooting a flint at the last Nat's. More power to him. Many gun auction boards have them up for sale. Take a gander.

Regards
    Eric

Team:
    8130V
    Region:

1842 Johnson pistol

Thanks Eric. One comment. My 1842 Johnson doesn't have a rear sight and all the photos I've looked at of Johnson's I've looked at don't show a rear sight. The 1836 pistol does have a rear sight.

QUOTE=efritz;41769]A couple of other things to note.
    No patches.
    Round balls only.
    Smoothbore only.
    Can be percussion or flint. Observe flint rules and regs.
    No team shooting. This is individual paper targets only.
    Medals for 25 yd. 50y and Agg. This is not included into any other Agg. whatsoever.
    There being no known repro being manufactured today all approved arms were taken from Flaydermans 8th edition if they met the criteria for what constitutes military used arms.
    To name a few;
    Johnson, Waters, Ames, Aston, and certain model years I think beginning with 1805 up to and NOT including the model 1855 which was rifled. Some models had rear sights, if want to call them that. You could probably do just as well using the tang screw slot as a reference rear sight. Some of the approved arms are rare and very expensive. I doubt anyone would shoot one even if they had one. But, they were included in the event someone wanted to begin making a repro. Aston's seem to be kind of readily available in the $700-$1400 range. Can be got for $800+ in some instances. Johnson's are around. They have a rear sight. Flints command more money, they being original and not converted. I think I heard someone was shooting a flint at the last Nat's. More power to him. Many gun auction boards have them up for sale. Take a gander.

Regards
    Eric[/QUOTE]

Team:
    Region:
    Your statement is correct.
    1836 Johnson - rear sights
    1842 Johnson - no rear sight