Thread: Wolf Mil Classic in M1 Garand

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas

Wolf Mil Classic in M1 Garand

I know this isn't Civil War relevant, but I recently traded for an International Harvester Garand, in excellent shape. I'm wondering if Wolf Military Classic 30-06 is safe to shoot out of it. The prior owner said he thought so, but I haven't been able to find any conclusive opinions online either way. It's supposed to be cooler than most commercial ammo and safe to shoot in a Garand.

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    Quote Originally Posted by StonewallSharpeson View Post
    I know this isn't Civil War relevant, but I recently traded for an International Harvester Garand, in excellent shape. I'm wondering if Wolf Military Classic 30-06 is safe to shoot out of it. The prior owner said he thought so, but I haven't been able to find any conclusive opinions online either way. It's supposed to be cooler than most commercial ammo and safe to shoot in a Garand.
    With the M1, it isn't a question of how hot or weak the ammo is, but rather the amount of port pressure at the gas port. It can bend the op rod. Medium burn rate powders and bullets in the 147-180 gr range are recommended.

I know Federal and Hornady both make M1 safe ammo, there's probably a few others out there. But I wouldn't take it as a given that the Wolf stuff is safe unless it is written on the box.

If you want to go that route though, buy an adjustable gas plug that will bleed off any excess pressure. The other nice thing about them is, you can tweak them so that you're letting just enough gas through to cycle the action and not throw the brass a mile.

Or just get some USGI or Greek (HXP) surplus ammo. Usually very well made stuff and made just for the M1.

Ultimately though, unless just something you're going to shoot very occasionally, you'd probably want to set up to reload if you already aren't. With even cheap ammo running $.60 a round for surplus and $.80 a round for commercial, the set up will pay for itself very quickly.

http://www.garandgear.com/component/...your-m1-garand

Interesting information there.
    Last edited by jonk; 07-24-2014 at 10:58 AM.