Thread: Anyone shooting 2F in a .58?

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana

Anyone shooting 2F in a .58?

In my quest to get repeatable results from my muskets, I want to leave no stone unturned; and that includes going back to 2F for a second look. I quickly adopted 3f after starting in the N-SSA, but would certainly be open to experimenting with 2f.

So the question is... if a gun generally likes 45 gr of 3f, where should I start with 2f? Right now I'm running the Moose 315 SWC, and would like to stay with that if possible for economy reasons. I know 'back in the day' before I joined, I used a 575213 with 60 gr of 2f, with some success; but dunno what that would do with the thin skirted light minie.

Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    been using 2f goex for about 20 years in my musket. shoots a 510 grn minnie with loads from 48-50 grns. my sons 2 band enfield uses the same bullet with 42 grns of 2f goex. we shoot a little stout do to shooting out to 200 yards here in NJ. i have used 2f because that is what is used in my cartridge guns also. just seemed easier to use one powder for everything. Marv
    comp#11604 DEL BLUES

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    The best group in my Pedersoli P58 I obtained was 60 grains 2F Goex. At 50 yards it made a 5-shot clover leaf.

I need to repeat this test to see if it was a fluke or not.

I was shooting the RCBS-500M. Fairly thick skirt, 500 grains.

Steve

Team:
    Region:
    My usual path for working up a load is to go in 5 gr increments to bracket it in; usually I find that (for instance) 35 gr of 3f is no good, 40 is ok, 45 is ok, 50 is no good, and then go back and work up a grain at a time for the in betweens... 40, 41, 42 etc.

Will probably end up doing that here... will start at 40 gr again, then 45, 50, 55, 60, maybe up to 65; then work on the 5 grains in between whatever 2 strings look most promising.

One issue I think may be coming into play: I'm coming into this (well, came into it 3 years ago) from high power shooting. The offhand stances are totally different, with musket resembling shotgun. For the life of me I can't get used to that. I'm thinking that the fast ignition of the 3f is either causing a quick jump rather than a push, or the torque of the heavier slower bullet is just lifting the muzzle in the rotational direction more than I see with high power, and a more forward hold helps combat that. If 2f is a bit more gradual in its start off- and it should be- it should help with that, and with any potential with skirts blowing out; which, while my teammates insist isn't an issue, even with 45 gr, I think is still happening occasionally.

I like to tinker and be the contrarian. I'm happy to stay with 3f, but won't be happy until I know that 2f isn't better. And just b/c my teammates do great with 3f doesn't mean that my gun doesn't like 2f after all.

Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina
    Jonk, I don,t think you will have to increase powder charge that much from 3f to 2f with that light bullet. That wadcutter is probably getting a gas seal below 45gr 3f. you need just have to match velocity with 2f and I dont think it will be that much. Don't be surprized that it might group with same powder charge as 3f. Rich

Team:
    Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Foster View Post
    Jonk, I don,t think you will have to increase powder charge that much from 3f to 2f with that light bullet. That wadcutter is probably getting a gas seal below 45gr 3f. you need just have to match velocity with 2f and I dont think it will be that much. Don't be surprized that it might group with same powder charge as 3f. Rich
    I ran some tests this weekend. Normally I shoot 43 gr of goex 3f. Switching to 2f, I started with 40 gr. Shot WAY low. Loose group, started to tighten up with about 43-44 gr. 45 gr was putting them RIGHT below the pigeon. I'm thinking based on the movement for each grain I added that 46-7 would be on the money, so only a 3-4 gr bump from the 3f. Unfortunately I ran out of bullets and daylight before I could confirm that.

I also tried some Swiss 3f, and found that while 43 gr of Goex is the happy spot, both 40 and 43 gr of Swiss grouped well and to point of aim. 40 was on, 41 and 42 were low, 43 was on. I think that I'm bracketing part of the bullet's rise/fall trajectory with those loads, and either one grouped well.

I'm going to the next skirmish with some of each to try in individuals on some of my own homemade targets- pigeon sized paper cutouts on black paper with a white backing- and fire a few strings with the Swiss, Goex, and 2f Goex... and maybe run the bird board with whichever is best. See if it helps hit time any.

I will say both the Swiss and Goex 2f (which appeared to be MUCH more uniform in granulation than my current batch of 3f) seemed to group tighter than my current load. More I think of it more I think I got a bad batch of goex 3f at the same time I got this gun, which is the source of my continued frustration with her.