I've been watching the fine bronze cannons at the Washington Navy Yard deteriorate for about 30 years. This very historic specimen is a US Army 24-pounder field howitzer which was being used by the CSA in Charleston, SC. The "US" on top of the gun has just about disappeared due to corrosion from exposure to acid rain, bird droppings, etc. I wrote to the Navy last year recommending they take some steps to protect the corroding bronze cannons. They replied that they chose to leave all the guns outside, and have done nothing I can see to protect them in the ten months since I wrote to them.

This made me wonder if there wasn't some law or regulation which requires government employees to at least attempt to mitigate damage to historical property when they are aware it is occurring. Does anyone know if there is such a law, regulation, or requirement "on the books" anywhere?

The slideshow linked below shows the extensive corrosion this piece has incurred from being kept outside in the elements.

http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/c ... 44d185.pbw