Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hahn Tube Troubles

Team:
    21st Virginia Infantry - Maryland Guard
    12085V
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio

Hahn Tube Troubles

I've tried the brown tubes a number of times but have problems with them leaving the barrel consistently. After hearing from a teammate how the new white tubes turn to confetti, i decided to give them another try. Today was first test and not a single tube left the breech. I used my normal charge of 35 gr 3f, a cardboard disc and topped with c.o.w to fill tube. Anybody else experiencing this issue? Any ideas for a remedy? I've attached a pic of every tube after shooting. Each one had to be pulled from the breech.

Name:  Hahn Tubes.JPG
Views: 894
Size:  53.0 KB
    Paul Altland
    21st Va. Md Guard Co. B

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    What's the chamber ID vs. unfired casing OD?

Team:
    N/A
    Region:
    Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by P.Altland View Post
    I've tried the brown tubes a number of times but have problems with them leaving the barrel consistently. After hearing from a teammate how the new white tubes turn to confetti, i decided to give them another try. Today was first test and not a single tube left the breech. I used my normal charge of 35 gr 3f, a cardboard disc and topped with c.o.w to fill tube. Anybody else experiencing this issue? Any ideas for a remedy? I've attached a pic of every tube after shooting. Each one had to be pulled from the breech.

Name:  Hahn Tubes.JPG
Views: 894
Size:  53.0 KB
    How about deleting the COW filler? I think Charlie says you don't need it.

Duane

Team:
    110th Ohio Voluneer Infantry
    11444V
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    You may need more power (Like Tim Taylor said). The Sharps shooters in my unit all use 50r of Goex FFg. Several use Charlie tubes with no trouble. Side note, this load works in the Sharps rifle also, whereas the lighter load may well not. Hope this helps and, of course, just my $.02.

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    One of my teammates finally gave up on Charlies' tubes for that reason. I personally don't use them, my gun came with several thousand hand rolled ones, good for years of skirmishing.

Naturally bullet selection and chamber length matter a lot. My gun will only run 38-39 gr of 2f; that's all the chamber will take. Very short throat. But in your case, it sounds like you could try running more.

If you don't want to roll your own from nitrated paper, you are kind of stuck with using what Charlie makes. But you might encourage better combustion too, by trying more powder as I said, or trying another brand of powder, or even (re?)nitrating a pile of his tubes. Not sure how they'll take that or if they'd unroll, but would be worth trying with a few to test.

Team:
    13th Confederate Infantry
    0829V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    May I ask you to call, 410-208-4736? I do recommend no filler as it causes the tubes to not exit and with the size of the chamber serves no purpose other than gumming up the works. The white tubes perform better with a light coating of shellac on the inside to make the paper more brittle, but is not always needed.Personally I use it all the time. I doubt you have a small chamber as I have seen very few of them, it is either .62 or .55 diameter the smaller is more difficult to clear.

As with everything I provide, tubes, springs, tumblers, etc all come with cash back if they do not perform.

Charlie Hahn

Region:
    I use 37g 3F and a vegetable wad:
    460" diameter, ideal for .45 caliber rifles, .500" thick fibre wad, 500, by Circle Fly Wads
    Never a problem.

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin

A friends Sharps paper solution

This thread reminded me of a old team mate of mine who shot a Shiloh Sharps using paper
    cartridges he made from the Funnies section of the Sunday section. He must have shot
    thousands of rounds with little problems. He believed the funnies burned more completely
    than the regular pages. I test shot it once with no ignition problems and little residue.
    Mr. Hahn's tubes must be a major time saver compared to rolling your own.

Team:
    21st Virginia Infantry - Maryland Guard
    12085V
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio
    My chamber sleeve is cut to .570 ID. I have several team members shooting them without fail in Shilohs, be it Carbines or Rifles, but they just won't function in my Garrett. I appreciate your guarantee Charlie, but obviously not a problem with the product. Every tube splits. They just won't leave the chamber. Next time i'll try the shellac trick and see how that works.
    Paul Altland
    21st Va. Md Guard Co. B

Team:
    13th Confederate Infantry
    0829V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Okay, the sleeve can be changed to the .62. But for the short test, just leave out the COW. Then add the shellac after that. Also, what glue to you fix the card board disc with?

Also, is your gun modified from stock?

Charlie
    410-208-4736