Thread: Confederate Brass Framed Revolvers: Myths & Realities, Part 3.

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana

Confederate Brass Framed Revolvers: Myths & Realities, Part 3.

This is a story of somewhat of myth looking to justify somewhat a reality. In other words, a Confederate brass framed clone not a copy of a Colt M1851 Navy revolver.
    Once again the story of Confederate gunsmiths pops up with the question of patriotism and profit. And certainly falls in line with a number of gunsmiths in the South thinking that since they were already altering flintlocks to percussion, reboring shot out bores, repairing, and refinishing guns of all types for the Confederacy looking to go into the revolver business.

One of the smallest, and briefest was Schneider and Glassick of Memphis, TN.

William Schneider and Frederick Glassick had been independent gunsmiths plying the Mississippi River trade before the War apparently making and selling derringers as well as guns made by others. By 1860 they were listed in the Memphis City Directory as “Schneider & Glassick, guns, pistols, etc.”
    In the December 8, 1861 Memphis Daily Appeal ran a very short article praising “a beautiful weapon, not inferior to Colt’s make in any particular.”
    It is not clear how many revolvers S & G made, but historians questimate production at one revolver a week for either less than 20 but certainly no more than 55-55. While starting in December of 1861, things ran until the beginning of March 1862
    In any event, the ‘Daily Appeal” ran a notice from Schneider & Glassick On March 7, 1862 that they were closing down and customers should come in to collect their guns by the 13th as they would be turned over to the Confederacy.
    By March 15, 1862 Memphis was in Union hands and Schneider and Glassick were done.
    Originals S & G’s are very rare. Among the four or five (?) there are mystery variations such as two with brass frames but with iron grip frame and trigger guard. And one with an iron grip frame and trigger guard, has a round rather than octagonal barrel.

Reproductions.

Here is the Kicker. In the rush to offer a cheaper reproduction Colt revolver, the Italians inadvertently created the ‘Schneider and Glassick” revolver when they decided to offer a Colt M1851 Navy with a brass frame at a lower price.
    Once again the usual shortcomings and complaints with Italian reproduction revolvers still stand.

All in all, and up to a point, a brass framed Colt M1851 Navy can be (so-called) "de-farbed" to be more "S & G like" by removing the naval battle scene from the cylinder. etc.
    Although a historical reality, a “Schneider & Glassick” reproduction revolver is near universally frowned upon and looked down on in reenacting and living history circles. ANY brass framed Colt M1851 Navy reproduction can assume the name and identity of a Schneider & Glassick.
    However, with no more than 50 possibly made, and with the highest serial number fund on an original is 23 hinting that less may have been turned out, it is not considered Plain, Everyday, and Common or not "quite" Period Correct or Authentic as a choice for reenacting or living history. For skirmished or just fun plinking, they are a decent enough low(er) cost option especially when used. HOWEVER, they do not do well for high volume firings due to the historically incorrect soft brass frame which can suffer recoil damage and distortions.
    Curt Schmidt
    Formerly 17 years a Sherman's Bodyguard
    Married to a descendant of Senator John Sherman's wife

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Hi Curt,

What caliber was the Confederate copy? I think all the brass framed repro 1851s are .44.

Steve

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    Hallo!

S & G's were .36.

I have not followed the more recent trends, other than Pietta and Traditions/Pietta who also does CVA revolvers, and Dixie/Pietta that offer "Confederate" (Colt 1851 Navy's and G & G revolvers in .36 and .44. I don't recall if Pietta makes a .36 M1851 for CVA or not.
    The last time I looked at Cabela's line all of the Navy's and "Sheriff's models) seemed to be just .44's.

But I do not follow the brass frames much, sorry...

IIRC, my very first revolver, Way Back When, was a brass framed Colt M1851 Navy in .36 I believe was imported by "EMF" or but I forget the maker but think it was Armi San Marco (ASM) aka F.LI Pietta aka now Pietta. My second was Uberti Col tM1861 Navy with shoulder stock. While I have drifted, I ended up a Colt M1860 Army, Richards & Mason, and M1871/72 Open Top fan. But I keep a Remington "New Model" 1863 Army around for fun. (Love the controversial Rogers & Spencer the best, and was going to use that for N-SSA competition but the revolver team thing fell apart way back in the Day.)

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    Formerly 17 years a Sherman's Bodyguard
    Married to a descendant of Senator John Sherman's wife