Thread: Kerr Rifle Ramrod Tip Reproduction Being Considered

Region:
    Visitor

Kerr Rifle Ramrod Tip Reproduction Being Considered

Some of you will remember the reproduction Kerr barrel topic that I started earlier. The barrels are now in production as that thread explains including contact and ordering instructions.

I have been using a Peter Dyson repro Whitworth (WW) tipped ramrod to go with my Kerr barrels as I set them up, but they just were not right in my mind’s eye. The Dyson WW repro tips are fine for a P-H WW and they are certainly better than what P-H originally provided. In my opinion, that is also true of the P-H Volunteer rifle's ramrod.

Recently I have been talking to someone who has expressed interest in making a small run of reproduction Kerr ramrod tips, depending on interest, and potentially a ramrod to go with them. The original tip we are looking at and have measurements from is shown in the following picture/link.

The picture shows the more elaborate Kerr tip found with the Kerr presentation rifles. The only thing that really distinguishes it from the less elaborate Kerr tip is the fine knurling around two of the rings found on the back of the head and the end of the brass tip. From a Kerr rifle used in the American Civil War, we have an example of the less elaborate tip. They are close in measurement to each other, but not exactly the same as one would expect with custom made parts. The Kerr ramrod tip was not made to be gauged as were the LACo P’53 parts; they were for commercial sale. The Kerr tip screws onto the end of the ramrod with the tip having the female threads which is the reason an accompanying ramrod is under consideration.

Given that the repro tip is made as the original, we are considering providing a screw with it that will both thread into the tip and the ramrod so that a drill rod can be drilled, taped, and cut to length to make a 36 5/8” ramrod as per the original rod depicted. A length of 36 3/4 “will make the ramrod flush with the end of the barrel in my Kerr stock with its 37” repro Kerr barrel. Another possibility would be to cut the end of the rod with the male threads as per the female threads in the base of the tip. As you can see many things are undecided at this time. Also,
    Peter Dyson does not ship complete rods internationally (just tips) due to the high cost of postage. This also in an open area of consideration at this time. Again your feed back is important to the decision making process.

If anyone is interested in a Kerr repro ramrod tip or a complete rod please let me know so that as we try to figure out the materials needed for a run once decisions are made we would be prepared to make a sufficient number of items for all who have an interest. As to cost, it's just too early given the number of open decisions to provide an estimate at this time. Once the initial prototype tip is made we will be in a better position to provide that information.

Personally, I will be ordering three tip (with rod if they are produced) as I have that many Kerr Barrels. Anyone with a P-H Volunteer rifle might also be interested as the Kerr drop in barrel for a P’53 was the epitome of a period small bore volunteer rifle. There may be those who have a Kerr rifle, but without the proper ramrod tip who might have a need or some who just want a spare non-original ramrod.

As you have read, an open question exists as to whether a complete ramrod should be made or just the tip. If you have any opinion about the complete ramrod please make it known.

Should you see any errors in the statements above please let me know via personal message.

If you wish to stay informed more closely as we go along let me know that also and provide your email addresses as sending attachments is much easier that way. I will continue to post status updates to the forum as things develop, perhaps not quite as often or as detailed as what I might send to the more interested parties.

Pat in Virginia

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas

London Armory & Company Kerr Patent Rifle

I own the Kerr Patent London Armory Company that sports this ramrod. It is perhaps the finest condition Kerr in private hands in the United States and shows signs of sharpshooter use and not closet storage. It is finely engraved and has been fired in recent years at the range where the Georgia State black powder matches are fired each year. Before it goes out for auction, I would entertain contacts and have numerous high-quality digital photographs to share.

Dave Stieghan
    david.stieghan@att.net