Thread: More range time with my Navy arms P61 musketoon

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

More range time with my Navy arms P61 musketoon

I posted this on the muzzleloader forum but not many minie ball shooters there so I'm gonna repost it here, with a couple additions.

First, I learned my bore is around .577/.578, and wasn't getting the accuracy from the Lee .575 minie. I read on Lee's site you can shim the mold with some greased paper; just like we used to shim rod bearings on motors with a blank check. I did and now my 500gr minies run around .5775, and when lubed are a snug fit in the bore.

Second, I noticed when replacing my barrel in the stock if I tighten the thru bolt the barrel lifts out of the barrel channel several inches at the muzzle, which tells me the barrel is under a lot of strain if I band it then snug the thru bolt. So I tightened the bolt until the barrel started to come off the channel, then stopped and installed the bands.

I gathered some 3Fg, Lee 500 grain minies and headed for my Dad's place where we have a backstop and bench at 75 yards. I have gotten some advice on tweaking the rifle, like using consistent ramrod pressure, and tried 45 to 60 grs in 5 grain increments.

The best load was 60grs 3Fg, Crisco lube, and the Lee minie. The trigger was crisp but still heavy, over 8lbs, but I took my time and shot a 2.3" group at 75 yards. That computes to slightly over 3MOA, which is damn better than before.

Oh, another thing, with 60gr of 3fg the rifle hit dead on for elevation, and only 3 inches left of hold. I think this rifle responds like a handgun; slower loads with same bullet print higher.

I took the rifle home and got serious about polishing the sear spring, now the trigger is hovering at the 5lb mark. I filed the rear sight notch a little to move POI to the right, and will probably epoxy the sight notch.

I should figure out how to post pictures so you guys can see what I'm working with.

I still want to get some felt wads and try the REAL bullets again; they are a little lighter and will use less lead.

Do you think I should gently bend the tang a little so the barrel isn't under so much strain when the bolt is snug? This concerns me as far as accuracy is concerned.

Eterry

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    The real solution is glass bedding the barrel, if you feel up to it.

JDH

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Do you think I should gently bend the tang a little so the barrel isn't under so much strain when the bolt is snug?
    I agree with John about glass bedding. I'd be afraid of breaking off the tang.

Steve

Team:
    12th Regiment Pennsylvania Reserve Volunteers
    Region:
    Allegheny - Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia
    Bedding will definitely help. When the barrel starts to lift back the tang screw off half a turn and the barrel should rest back in the stack. 6ogrs is a heavy load! Enfields have a tendency to beat you up and the musketoons are very good at it. I have shoot Enfields for many years and I have found that raising the front sight and then moving the rear sight up it will reduce the beating your cheek will take.

Fred 1097
    12TH PA

Team:
    1st Regiment South Carolina Volunteer Infantry
    2014 13332 148-NW
    Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana
    You mentioned "I read on Lee's site you can shim the mold with some greased paper". I tried to find this on the Lee site but couldn't locate it. Would you mind providing the link? I am interested in trying it.
    Thanks
    Larry

Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina
    One technique for enlarging a mold is referred to as "beagling a mold". Google is your friend.
    Paul Lampman, 00263V
    Cockade Rifles

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by lkmcd1 View Post
    You mentioned "I read on Lee's site you can shim the mold with some greased paper". I tried to find this on the Lee site but couldn't locate it. Would you mind providing the link? I am interested in trying it.
    Thanks
    Larry
    its in the FAQ's...its always good to start at the beginning...lol.

http://leeprecision.net/support/inde...-mold-diameter

Eterry