Thread: Question for Maynard Model 1 shooters--Pistol caps or Musket caps?

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin

Question Question for Maynard Model 1 shooters--Pistol caps or Musket caps?

For those using the Romano Model 1 Maynards are there a preference for using pistol or musket caps? I
    know they come with the pistol cap nipple as did the originals.

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Musket caps will be easier to handle. I use the musket-sized nipple on mine.
    Support the USIMLT! Help your fellow Skirmishers go for the gold! www.usimlt.com

Team:
    4th North Carolina, Iredell Blues
    11046v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    wife and I both shoot Mod. 1s. Hers is the pistol cap, mine the musket cap. Check out the discussion under "around the campfire". She has never had a problem with pistol caps coming apart, we have always used Remington. They may be getting hard to find. Let me say here that we bought the gun 2nd hand, and the original owner had added a musket type cup to the end of the hammer. She rarely has a cap lodge in the cup with no obvious problems, I usually find them when cleaning the gun. Mine has the musket nipple. I found out real quick, do not use the old 6 wing "hot" CCI caps on this nipple. They come apart nearly every time, and have torn my face up, hate to think what might have happened if I had not had on glasses. I switched to the wingless caps and have never had another problem. Now that the wingless are gone, I guess I'll have to try the 4 wing "re-enactor" caps or the 4 wing german. Adding a cup to the end of the hammer should be a fairly easy task for a gun smith, if all else fails. Good luck!
    "Forgetfulness is injustice; remembrance is a sacred duty".

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    That massive blowback is because of too big of touch hole (the hole at the bottom). Nipple needs replacing, either with a new one or one that is properly made.

Team:
    8th Regiment Virginia Volunteers
    10395V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Since the musket caps are larger and easier to handle, especially in the cold, they are a good choice. However, my gun liked to throw musket cap fragments in my face, so I tried the smaller caps and I no longer got hit in the face with cap fragments. It still throws cap fragments and I have hit two shooters on my team who had the misfortune to stand on my right. We solved this problem by having me stand on the far right when we shoot carbine team events. Problem solved with some good teamwork. Depending on the strength of your mainspring, you may have better luck with cap fragments with one style cap or the other.
    Jim Wimbish

Member of NSSA since 2000

Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina
    When I got my Romano 1st Model Maynard I had Larry fit a new percussion cone (nipple) to it and used that for about 2+ years. That was the one he makes for the smaller pistol caps. When that cone wore out (and they do wear out) I decided to go with a regular musket cap size. It has worked great with the late, lamented RWS wingless caps... so much so in fact that I have been able to overhaul the worn cone once and am on my 4th season with it. I have bought (and hoarded) enough wingless caps to last a couple more seasons, but I fear I will have to go back to the smaller, harder to manage (for guys like me with fat fingers) pistol caps when my supply is exhausted.

Froggie
    Charlie Shaeff
    1st Valley Rangers
    N-SSA # 12345

Team:
    73rd New York Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    I started out with pistol caps, and had ignition problems unless I used a certain brand (can't remember which at the moment). Switched to a Bob Gorsky musket-sized nipple and haven't had those problems since. Plus the musket caps are much easier to handle.
    Glenn M. Kaye
    73rd New York Volunteer Infantry

Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana
    I have had my Model 1 for approximately 10 years and have always used No. 10 caps. They are slightly larger than the No. 11s and I have never had an ignition problem. Like others who have posted replies to this topic, I have had issues with the caps shattering and causing cuts to the face until I started using Remington caps. With the Remington's, I have never had a single problem getting hit with a disintegrating cap. I have found two sources for Remington No 10s and they are Cabelas and Bass Pro.
    Guns have only two enemies; rust and politicians.

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin
    Thanks to all for their replies and experience. I spoke with Mr. Romano and he strongly recommended the Remington's. I will give them a try
    and see how they handle. Like some I am concerned with how they will handle as compared to the larger musket size caps. I noticed on rhe
    box that the tins came in that Remington printed a notice that says " New Hotter Cap!" and hope this is not a negative.