Thread: Glasses

Team:
    1st Regiment Virginia Volunteers
    Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina

Glasses

I could use some input from some of you. As I have gotten older (68) I have found my eyesight has changed to where I need glasses for both near and far. I am looking to get a pair of glasses made for just shooting. The focal length for muskets and pistol is about the same 34 inches. As I normally sight through the top of my glasses normal bifocal or graduated lenses are in the wrong section of the glasses. If I put the bifocal part at the top of the lens for the right eye what to do with the left? One eye doctor told me to use the right lens totally for the front sight with no other magnification and use a plain glass in the other eye. At $300+ a pair I would like to hear what works for others. I have gotten a Merit eye cup and if needed will try that but would prefer glasses. Any ideas other that a shooting guide dog?
    Des Donnelly

Team:
    Old Dominion Dragoons
    Region:
    Des,
    I was a Naval Aviator and my eyes were like binoculars. I went to a desk job after making Commander and started working on a Computer 8 hours a day. In no time, my eyes were so screwed that I use trifocals now. I've found that blended lenses make all the difference and are far better than the 2 or 3 distinct focal areas. They're expensive, but are worth it.
    Charlie Gerringer
    Old Dominion Dragoons

Team:
    Region:
    The glasses I have are the progressive type and I do like them much better than bifocal or tri. The problem is that the area used to focus on my rifle sight is in the top left section of the right eye. That area is currently just long distance and hard to focus on the front sight.
    Des Donnelly

Team:
    10th Massachusetts Battery, Light Artillery
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Carbine and revolver are about the same focal point but two and three band muskets are different. Try to find a cheap pair of reading glasses from BJ's or Cosco that give you a clear front sight and a foggy target; then work from there. It's the best solution the half blind members of my team have found. I lost the sight in my dominant eye last year and have ben working at shooting left handed, not easy or much fun.

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Opticians are happy to place the focal area where you want as your work/passion may find that the usual wont work for you. An uncle of mine was a carpenter and carpenters sometimes need to bang nails over their heads which means you just can't crank your head back far enough to get that usual focal area lined up. So he had glasses made where he had the close focal applied to the bottom and top of the lens. Accurate work and no Ibuprofen. I look at computer monitors everyday for long periods so I have a separate pair of glasses designed for that specific work. I've gotten prescription eyewear for hockey, swimming and industrial. Competitive shooters have been having tailored glasses made for them for years. Make sure that they are made for the rules you will be competing under. NRA high-power is different then shotgun which is different then NMLRA which is different then N/SSA so use the rule book of the discipline you wish to compete in when designing your eyewear. Some judges really have memorized the rule book.
    Last edited by Mike Stein; 01-09-2014 at 02:07 AM. Reason: spelling and clarity

Team:
    1st Regiment South Carolina Volunteer Infantry
    2014 13332 148-NW
    Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana
    I am exploring "hydrostatic stick-on bifocal lenses" which are inexpensive and can be located anywhere on the lens of your existing glasses. I haven't tried them yet, too cold in Michigan!
    Here is a link to Amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GHR78P0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2OBL JHB3AB34N&coliid=I1AP5TTCDQOP0J

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    For the long guns, have you tried a peep sight? It made all the difference to my being able to see the sights.
    Lou Lou Lou Ruggiero
    Tammany Regt-42nd NYVI

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    You're in Yorktown? Go directly to Dr. Alan Toler in Richmond, VA. Get his Custom Sight Picture kit. It's a set of lenses that you clamp onto your regular shooting glasses...and can adjust to get just the right setting. And tint. Then he makes you up a lens with the right correction for a pair of dedicated shooting glass frames. You can get those from Pilkington Competion or Champions's Choice.

Let me put it this way...I use Dr. Toler for all my refractive corrections, including reading and distance eyeglasses. It's a two-hour drive each way...but well worth it.
    Support the USIMLT! Help your fellow Skirmishers go for the gold! www.usimlt.com

Team:
    12th Regiment Pennsylvania Reserve Volunteers
    Region:
    Allegheny - Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia
    I had a pair made with a magnifier on the right lens. The focal point was moved part way between the center and the left corner to cause less problems when shooting revolver. The left lens is regular script used for my regular glasses. I also need to use a Merit. This enables me to focus on the front sight and also clears up the target. I do think I am ready or I should say my eyes are ready for a new pair! My eye guy is into sports and was excited to work with getting me fixed.

Fred

Region:
    I have to agree with Mike. Go to someone that specializes in shooting glasses. Moving focal point helps some and makes others worse. For instance when shouldering a firearm you have your head tilted and looking out of corner of lens. This means you are looking through the lens at a angle rather than straight through it like it is designed to work. If you have a perscription pulling your eye to the right for vision correction and you have a focal point moved to the left and this pulls your eye to the left this is straining the eye what the perscription is try to correct. This topic can get very technical because most people eyes are not the same. I have been skirmishing for over 35 years and wearing glasses for 41 years. There is a new progressive lens out now that has a wider focal area. progressive lens focal area is shaped like a hour glass. I have a pair of glasses with this lens with the focal point moved straight up 2mm from center and with this the lens wider hour glass area covers my shooting focal point. But I still have to use a merit eye piece for my open sight on my H&P. All my other guns have peep sights. I have a eye tech that I have delt with for ten years and he is always looking for new types of lens that will work or make my shooting glasses better. Have spent lots of $$$$$ to find out what does not work for me. Good Luck, Rich