Thread: Repro Gallagher Carbine questions

Team:
    2nd New Jersey Volunteer Infantry
    1105V
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Repro Gallagher Carbine questions

Hi guys...I picked up one of those German-made Gallaghers that were introduced in the seventies (?). It came with an aluminum mould and some brass shells. I remember at that time there were issues having to do with the fast twist. If any Gallagher shooters read this: Do you use a hard lead alloy? Also, what powder charge is adequate for both 50 and 100 yards? Any other hints? Thanks!
    Jerry

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin

Gallager Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Sciortino View Post
    Hi guys...I picked up one of those German-made Gallaghers that were introduced in the seventies (?). It came with an aluminum mould and some brass shells. I remember at that time there were issues having to do with the fast twist. If any Gallagher shooters read this: Do you use a hard lead alloy? Also, what powder charge is adequate for both 50 and 100 yards? Any other hints? Thanks!
    Jerry
    You can try the hard lead but many shooters found it better to reline bore with traditional rifling. Mr. Hoyt has done many of these and is a good
    source of advice on this. You also need to use the hottest caps available to get the most reliable ignition and keep that firing channel clean.
    These are nice little guns and can be a lot of gun. The Problem is the micro groove rifleing --it is hard to get them shooting well if you stick with it.

Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    NSSA# 2620
    Region:
    Northeast- New York

Repro German Gallagher

Jerry About shooting the repro Gallagher Shoot me a E-M DSSA200@aol.com Been shooting one sence they came out 1970s or 1980s Had yerry good luck with it AL

Team:
    17th Pennsylvania Volunteer Cavalry
    Region:
    Allegheny - Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia
    I love Gallagers and are a huge fan of them. This is my second year shooting the Erma Gallager at the N-SSA, but some of my team mates have been shooting their's for over 30 years with the same load I use. I love Gallagers and are a huge fan of them. USE HARD LEAD!!! We all use plain old wheel weights and they shoot great and don't lead up the barrel. There is no need to reline your barrel if you use the right load with hard lead. The best bullet for the Gallager is the old Rapine .540 300 but Moose Moulds makes a Gallager bullet now and I haven't tried it so not sure how well it does. I use 30grs of FFFg Goex with the mentioned Rapine bullet and this load performs excellent at both 50 and 100 yards. I run a brush and a couple patches through the bore after every event because of the fast twist but that's the only problem I have with mine. RWS winged caps work fine for us. Ignition problems often happen with the Gallager if there is any solvent or oil in the nipple, flash channel, or back of the breach. Wants you get everything right, these are excellent carbines and true tack drivers. Be sure to contact Al, he knows a lot about these Gallagers too. Hope this information helps!
    Shoot small, miss small. Or shoot small and hit small!