Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unknown "proof" marks on a M1860 Spencer carbine ?

Team:
    69th New York State Volunteers
    08619V
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Unknown "proof" marks on a M1860 Spencer carbine ?

I recently acquired a Spencer carbine that has at least six 8 petaled flower-like stamps in both the wood and metal. The receiver serial number has been removed and a cryptic marking stamped where the serial number formerly was. I know my Ballards fairly well but know next to nothing about Spencer rifles and carbines.

I attempted to register with the Spencer Shooting Society to ask this question but for some reason I am unable to receive their activation email so I am turning to my brothers and sisters in the N-SSA.

I know that Spencer rifles and/or carbines went to Japan soon after the Civil War and I am thinking that perhaps this might be one of them. However, the Japanese mum had 16 petals while this has only 8.

I know the N-SSA has some quite knowledgeable shooters/collectors and I am hoping someone can shed some light on this Spencer and its markings.

Thanks,
    Jack Conway
    Jack Conway
    69th NY

Team:
    14th Connecticut Volunteer Infantry
    # 2026
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts

Spencer ID

I recall reading that Spencers were used in the 1870s by the Kingdom of Siams army , now known as Thailand,and used the petaled flower-like stamp.

Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana

spencer

Quote Originally Posted by jim14th View Post
    I recall reading that Spencers were used in the 1870s by the Kingdom of Siams army , now known as Thailand,and used the petaled flower-like stamp.
    If yours is already a centerfire, it is most likely a Belgium contracted carbine
    N-SSA Member since 1974

Team:
    Durrell's Independent Battery
    08260V
    Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack C., 69th NY View Post
    I recently acquired a Spencer carbine that has at least six 8 petaled flower-like stamps in both the wood and metal. The receiver serial number has been removed and a cryptic marking stamped where the serial number formerly was. I know my Ballards fairly well but know next to nothing about Spencer rifles and carbines.

I attempted to register with the Spencer Shooting Society to ask this question but for some reason I am unable to receive their activation email so I am turning to my brothers and sisters in the N-SSA.

I know that Spencer rifles and/or carbines went to Japan soon after the Civil War and I am thinking that perhaps this might be one of them. However, the Japanese mum had 16 petals while this has only 8.

I know the N-SSA has some quite knowledgeable shooters/collectors and I am hoping someone can shed some light on this Spencer and its markings.

Thanks,
    Jack Conway
    Possibly Belgian
    James J. Grimes
    Member, Durell's Independent Battery D
    Endowment Member of the NRA
    Member of the NMLRA

Team:
    69th New York State Volunteers
    08619V
    Region:
    This Spencer carbine is an original M1860 carbine made by Spencer in Boston Mass. It has not been centerfire converted. I am hoping to find the origin of the 8 leaf flower stamps on the hammer, the block, the receiver, the forearm. There is a cryptic stamping on the receiver where the serial number was before it was removed. The moderator of the Spencer Shooting Society posted several photos that I took of the carbine. Photos can be viewed at http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,50075.0.html

I'll keep looking and hoping!
    Jack Conway
    69th NY

Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina
    I have the same 8 leaf flower stamped on a M1816 Harpers Ferry behind the tang on the wood only. Never been able to find any
    thing about it maybe this will help ring a bell in somebodies brain somewhere. Rich

Team:
    8th Texas Cavalry (Terry's Texas Rangers)
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    I have a Moore Enfield rifle musket with the same stamping behind the trigger guard.
    Rascus

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    N/a
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack C., 69th NY View Post

Thanks,
    Jack Conway
    Try Dan Stedman from the 14th VA cav Dan did a lot of research on Spencer's and once owned the Spencer belonging to LT Godfrey of the 7th cavalry who was at the Little Big Horn area. Jack Kiley 14th VA 1974-1989
    Last edited by olddewey; 10-23-2013 at 02:06 PM.

Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    My H&P has the same marking on the stock, and I have owned at least 2 other period muskets with that marking.

-Eddie
    Eddie Bruner
    2nd Kentucky Cavalry CSA/NSSA

Ron/The Old Reb Guest
    8 petaled flower stamp symbolizes the Lotus flower a sign of Buddhism and Hinduism. Might be a hint of it's origin. India, China, ect.