Visitor

WTB- Parts for a Starr Carbine

Looking for a Rear Camming Breech Block and a Percussion Breech Block

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    I'm sure you would rather find original parts but if all else fails The Rifle Shoppe does list those parts in their catalog.

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Cleaning cast vs. Milling from solid block

Quote Originally Posted by GPM View Post
    I'm sure you would rather find original parts but if all else fails The Rifle Shoppe does list those parts in their catalog.

GPM-
    I had ordered both blocks from The Rifle Shoppe and it took many months to get the parts after initially being told it would only be a few weeks.
    After ordering I had checked on what size the nipple threads would be and I found out how much cleanup and milling was required to be done on the cast parts as you get a sloid block with flashing, perosity and no ports drilled or tapped... which had me lean towards just milling them from a solid block.
    Once received after waiting those many months for the parts, I inspected them and compared them to the originals.
    I found that both blocks were oversized in width (+.065 & +.038) which was OK as I wanted to mill them to get a smooth surface on the sides, the Breech Block was undersized in the length (-.039) which left no room to clean the mating surfaces and the Rear Camming Bock was oversized in length (+.045) but that only left very little to the combined length for cleaning the surfaces. Other dimensions were also off or exact as the finished part but that left no room to finish the surface. I contacted Mike @ The Rifle Shoppe and after discussing the issues he said others have had no issues with the castings but if I wanted to return them since I can have them milled to do so and return the cast ones....which I did.

I was just checking here as by chance that an original part was floating around I'd use it over starting work on the new parts.

TMS

P.S.
    I am curious as to others experience with The Rifle Shoppe

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    The Rifle Shoppe is known for very long waiting times on parts that are not in stock. All the parts I have used have been very good, but then I'm talking hammers ,bands ect. Nothing as complicated as you are working with.
    There is a thread about stocks from the Rifle Shoppe on the civil war weapons board that has comments from others.
    Try a search here on the boards, TRS has been mentioned more than a few times.
    Last edited by GPM; 08-06-2013 at 03:10 PM.