Thread: Questions on Sharps chambers

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana

Questions on Sharps chambers

I have noticed that different makers of Sharps carbines have different length chambers; mine is fairly short, holding about 40 gr of FFG in a tube, or about 50 gr if loose powder is used. Some of my teammates have Sharps with notably longer chambers, holding up to 50, 55, even 60 grains.

Is this determined by the maker/import company (IAB, Pedersoli, etc.), I assume? What was the historic charge weight? I don't see the need to have my chamber lengthened but am curious as mine seems to be at the low end of capacity.

Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana

sharps chambers

Consider yourself lucky to have a short one as you won't need filler. As to your other question, they are all over the map. One story I have heard is that the difference comes from chamber set ups. Longer ones were for cartridge guns and they forgot, or didn't care to change the chamber stops. Our beloved Shilohs are the worst when it comes to various lengths.
    N-SSA Member since 1974

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    When loading charlies tubes I use the 1.2 length. I can get 42 grains of goex 2F in it with just a little bit of an air gap. I can hear the powder if I shake it. I could probably get 45 grains MAYBE but I doubt it. I have an IAB but is was redone by charlie so I do not know how it came from the factory

Team:
    13th Confederate Infantry
    0829V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    The service charge was 64 grains 2fg.The reproduction guns have no head space requirement, so the must make then by eye. There are two other variables, the forcing cone angle, and the diameter of the front ring on the bullet. Just these two items can cause a shift from gun to gun of 1/4 inch in length. The other comment about cartridge mistakes to percussion guns is most likely true as well. You can find guns that have the extractor slot in the frame, and also issues in the forcing cone area. I address these items on each breech job I do.The latest run of Perdersoli Sharps are much better than the past. Machined breech blocks, and better fits. They are a good value for our sport.Charlie Hahn