Thread: HELP NEEDED from a Romano Spencer Owner

Region:
    Visitor

HELP NEEDED from a Romano Spencer Owner

Hi,

I have a new member of the Spencer Shooting Society, who is also a past president of the NMLRA, who needs help in getting his recently purchased Romano Spencer "up and shooting". He is looking for someone to share their knowledge and experiences with their Romano Spencer with him. He is also looking for help with reloading information.

If you would be willing to help Kevin, please contact me at fsgrand2@fairpoint.net, and I will put you in contact with him.

Thanks so much for your help,

Two Flints
    Spencer Shooting Society
    http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?board=35.0

Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina
    Why not get info from the guy who built it, Larry himself? I find him easy to talk to and understandable (for a Yankee :lol: ) and most willing to help out with his products and the originals they emulate.

Froggie
    Charlie Shaeff
    1st Valley Rangers
    N-SSA # 12345

Region:
    Visitor

Looking for More Unbiased Opinions

Hi RangerFrog,

You make a good suggestion.

I asked Kevin the same thing, and he said he's had communications with Larry Romano, but he wants to get an "owner's" perspective on shooting and loading for the Romano Spencer. I think he's just looking for input from other Romano Spencer owners to compare notes and maybe add to what he already knows (or doesn't know yet)!

Two Flints

Team:
    8th Regiment Virginia Volunteers
    10395V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

Shooting Romano Guns

Two Flints,

Best place to start is with Larry Romano. When I wanted to get my Romano Spencer up and running, I bought my dies and bullet mould from Larry. He gave me instructions on how to load it which were easy to follow since I had experience with hand loading other cartridge guns.

I also got loading help from Larry on shooting his 36 caliber and 50 caliber bullets in the Maynard. For the 36 cal., he told me what powder charge to use. It worked perfectly and I have never had to do a thing.

I suggest that your friend start with what Larry told him and go to the range for some practice.

Jim
    Jim Wimbish

Member of NSSA since 2000

Region:
    Visitor
    Thanks Jim,

As I stated above, the new Romano owner has contacted Larry, but I don't know how far that communication has gone. I guess Kevin just wanted another opinion on shooting his Romano Spencer.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Two Flints

Team:
    34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry
    10605V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    I posted a response, but it seems to have disappeared. Maybe I revealed too much of the "top secret formula"?

Romano Spencers come with either a Hoyt barrel or a Douglas barrel. Mine has a Douglas barrel, and I was initially underwhelmed with the accuracy for the price. Then Larry Romano told me the secret--linotype. The Douglas barrels need rock hard lead to shoot well. Wheel weight alloy is just too soft to get the job done, and bullets cast from wheel weights will sometimes keyhole.

So, I got some super-hard bullets from Liberty Bullet Co (sadly they've gone out of business), and suddenly it was like the choir of angels sang. The gun shot great, couldn't miss a pigeon for trying. Their alloy was 19 parts linotype to 1 part pure lead. I've made up some of that alloy myself, and got good results useing the Romano mould.

You might want to try a slightly longer bullet, too. I got even better results with a slightly heavier bullet from Liberty Bullet, but I don't know what mould they used, and now I can't ask. But I think the longer bullet compressed the charge a little more and gave better ignition.

So the load recipe that has worked best for me is:

Brass: cut down .50-70
    Bullet: Romano Spencer mould cast in 19:1 Linotype alloy
    Powder: 40 gr. FFFg GOEX
    Primer: Lg Pistol (Not Magnum)
    No wads or filler.

The difference was like night and day using the right load.
    "Stay on target...stay on target..." Red Leader, Battle of Yavin

Region:
    Visitor

Romano Spencer Loading Information

Hi Mike w/34th,

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond with Romano Spencer loading information. I have passed the info on to Kevin.

Thanks again,

Two Flints