Thread: "High Hump" Richmond Lock

Team:
    149th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

"High Hump" Richmond Lock

To All:
    I am in the process of trying to build a C.S. Richmond carbine, and I am looking to purchase the lock internals. With this being said, which model lock internals go into the "high hump" lock? Are they 1855 or 1861 parts, or are they inter-changable?
    I just want to make sure I purchase the correct parts. BTW- The lock plate has been drilled and tapped for original parts.

Thanks!

Bryan Davis

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    Region:
    Visitor
    I am pretty certain the 1861 parts will fit. When you say "high hump", do you mean the real high hump like the 1855s, with the primer system on it, or the hump that is even with the wood of the stock,??. I am not familiar with the 1855s, 61 parts will fit the lower hump Richmonds, for sure. 61 parts might fit the 55 contour locks, but I'm not sure, theirs some to do with the primer feed mechanism in the 55s. If you have the very high Richmond plate,(no primer feed mechs), 61 parts will fit those too.

Hope I didn't confuse you to much. If you are going to the Nats, Go see Bill, or Dave at Lodgewood, they can help you out for sure. Tell them I sent you. Dave Christensen AKA Rebel Dave. If you need any parts they will have them.

Rebel Dave
    Past Member 14th Mississippi

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    A word of caution. Never say never, but one doubts if there was ever produced a high hump Richmond muzzleloading carbine. Richmond Armoury interrupted production of high hump lockplates in March, 1862 to reconfigure the plate tooling to the low hump profile. A chief reason for this appeals to anyone who has fired a Maynard-lock M.1855 or a high hump Richmond: capping and decapping are often quite awkward. After March, 1862 Richmond Armoury only produced low hump plates and hand ground high hump lockplates on weapons returned to the facility for repair. Production of Richmond muzzleloading carbines didn't begin until November, 1862, eight months after the high hump plate was abandoned.

Team:
    149th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

High hump

Rebel Dave, It is the high hump like the 55s. It is just the plate though, no mechanics.thank you for the info! Just wanted to make sure I got the right parts.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas

Repro Richmond Locks

Bryan, The repro "high hump" C.S. Richmond (Type I) lock plates made by Brian Haack, Nick Brevoort, and others in the N-SSA are intended to accept M1861-1873 internal parts. A M1855 mainspring like Brevoort also sells are intended for original M1855 locks only, while the longer upper leg (for the M1861-65) is only interchangeable with the later type a C.S. Fayetteville rifle.
    First Cousin (7 times removed) to Brigadier General Stand Watie (1806-1871), CSA
    1st Cherokee Mounted Rifles | Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation 1862-66