Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Palmetto 1842 musket

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Palmetto 1842 musket

Through the years I have seen several model 42 Palmetto muskets that appear to be correct with the exception of steel bands instead of brass. Murphy and Madaus make no mention of this variation. I've heard a few speculate that some of the early guns might have been assembled with purchased surplus parts, others say they are repaired arms or outright fake. Any opinions?

If you can find the book (pamphlet really, at about 60 pages, mostly pictures) called "William Glaze and the Palmetto Armory: By Jack Allen Meyer‎" put out by the S.C. Archives, there is some material written concerning the likliehood of early "Palmetto" muskets being fitted with iron hardware as the initial contracts were let out to the B. Flagg firm, located in the north, for production. And then subsequently were produced by Wm. Glaze and Company at his Columbia factory.

It has been a while since I have looked at this source, but I know there is some documentation for iron mounted Palmetto arms.
    Chris Hubbard
    146th New York Volunteer Infantry (ACWSA)

I went back and checked Murphy and Madaus again, and in the opening paragraphs of the chapter on Wm. Glaze the relationship between Glaze and Flagg is highlighted noting the first 100 arms delivered may have been on machinery Flagg acquired from A. Waters whom he was partnered with for production of U.S. M1842 muskets. These arms, if made on the same Waters/Flagg machinery would have conformed to the U.S. pattern.

Also, in checking Murphy and Maduas' sources for the chapter on Glaze they list the book by Jack Allen Meyer‎ that I recommended before as their first source.

The Meyer book shows several variations of the Palmetto stamps used on various Glaze products and suggests that one of the variations was an earlier stamp. If I recall it suggests that Flagg could have marked the arms with this earlier stamp.

Anyway, you can sometimes find the Meyer book on Ebay.
    Chris Hubbard

4. Re: Palmetto 1842 musket

Quote Originally Posted by GPM
    Through the years I have seen several model 42 Palmetto muskets that appear to be correct with the exception of steel bands instead of brass. Murphy and Madaus make no mention of this variation. I've heard a few speculate that some of the early guns might have been assembled with purchased surplus parts, others say they are repaired arms or outright fake. Any opinions?
    There are legitimate Palmetto Muskets with iron bands, as well as non-Glaze marked barrels.

There is considerable information that Glaze did not actually manufacture his arms but simply assembled them from surplus and condemned parts. He also had a number of barrels burst during proofing, hence his need for replacement barrels, and had difficulity in procuring brass for the bands. For evidence of this see; "William Glaze and the Palmetto Armory", by Jack Meyer, pages 18, 19, and 37; Flayderman's 9th Edition, #6A-043, page 333; "The Origin of the Palmetto Pistols", Man at Arms, No. 5 (2000), pages 38-43.

Since pictures are always best, here's a Palmetto Musket of mine on consignmeant at The Horse Soldier with iron bands and a non-Glaze marked barrel. Remember that rust and patina are often times your best friend to determine authenticity

John Gross

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Sincere thanks for the info guys.

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    John,

As always your information is very appreciated, and thank you for the excellent quality photo's.

You mentioned that there are examples without the Wm. Glaze marks on the barrel. Are those barrels devoid of any marks?

Is the Palmetto musket you have shown one of those arms without Wm. Glaze barrel markings?

Thank you.

John Holland

7. Quote Originally Posted by John Holland
    John,

As always your information is very appreciated, and thank you for the excellent quality photo's.

You mentioned that there are examples without the Wm. Glaze marks on the barrel. Are those barrels devoid of any marks?

Is the Palmetto musket you have shown one of those arms without Wm. Glaze barrel markings?

Thank you.

John Holland

Hello John,

The Palmetto pictured here has no Glaze markings on the barrel, and instead of the VP/Palmetto Tree has the VP/Eaglehead and is undated (and it's in good enough condition that if a date had ever been there it would still be visable). Since some Palmettos were made with condemned parts, a "C" might be found in some locations on various parts.

As you can see from the photos, the dark, crusty patina shows that these iron bands and barrel have been together forever, and the bottom of the barrel which has been protected by the wood retains the same bright finish.

John Gross

Region:
    None

the book, "William Glaze and the Palmetto Armory"

If anyone would like a copy of Jack Allen Meyer's book, "William Glaze and the Palmetto Armory" please contact me and I will be glad to pickup a copy for you at the next Columbia, SC gun show. Mr Myers is usually there selling copies of his book. The cost of the book is $10.00 to $12.00.
    Please call me at: 843 277 1049.
    Lee

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    I have a M1842 that I made a few years before the Armi Sport version came out. I had considered turning it into a Palmetto if I could find a repro plate. Does Rich Cross make a repro Palmetto plate for the M42? I thought I stumbled accross an old posting for one some time back but can not find it now.

Yes, Rich makes the plate. Beautiful stamps on it too.
    Chris Hubbard