Thread: Questions About Restoring M1863 Springfield, Type I

Region:
    Visitor

Questions About Restoring M1863 Springfield, Type I

I've got an original M1863 Springfield Type I (screw bands) that I'd like to restore. It was obviously used as a skirmish weapon at some point because the barrel has been relined. Unfortunately this was done by chopping off the last few inches of the breech -- including the bolster -- and installing a new one. The new breech is functional but isn't the correct type with an eagle on the bolster.. It also doesn't fit the lockplate correctly and there is a metal shim between the bolster and the barrel to fill the gap.

I'd like to restore this to its original configuration. Obviously an original barrel would work (and I've posted a WTB ad on this site). Another option is a new Hoyt barrel. Are there any other options that might be less expensive, such as having someone replace the breech on the current barrel? If not, does the current barrel have resale value that might help me offset the cost? I'm a reenactor and very occasional target shooter, so I'm not looking for the greatest accuracy, just something functional. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    If the barrel is the only thing wrong, another original barrel is the best bet. Or Dan Whitacre http://www.whitacresmachineshop.com/ has new replacement 1863 barrels. Contact him and tell him what you have, and he may be able to suggest s solution.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas

Restoration of Model 1863 Type 1

Sounds like you probably have a repro breech and barrel that may have been subsequently relined rather than the original barrel. If you are a VMI alumni, why don't you come up to Winchester for the National next week and look for a replacment barrel on Sutler's Row. You are more likely to find just what you are seeking there than most any other place, and you can fit the barrel to the gun on-site, so you will know what you are buying. Might find more than just a barrel.
    First Cousin (7 times removed) to Brigadier General Stand Watie (1806-1871), CSA
    1st Cherokee Mounted Rifles | Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation 1862-66