Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: wilkerson mark III bullet

Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin

wilkerson mark III bullet

Is there a wilkerson bullet that is large enough to be used in a .582 barrel. thanks If there is one available that might work who carries them

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Wilkinson Bullet Mould Sizes

Bob,

All of the 58 caliber Wilkinson bullet moulds I have designed have been a nominal 0.580 with bullets measuring 0.580 to 0.584 as cast. The bullet may be a bit smaller if mould prep is used in the inner cavity. Wilkinson bullets need to be no more than 0.002" undersized for best accuracy so any mould should serve your purpose in a 0.582 bore when cast with pure lead.

Below is a list of the 58 caliber Wilkinson moulds I have made.

1. Wilkinson Mk I - Brass bouble cavity mould, two wedge bullet 545 grains

2. Wilkinson Mk I - Aluminum single cavity mould, two wedge bullet 545 grains

Remarks: Updated Austrian new style bullet required at least 45 grs. of GOEX FFFg to shoot best accuracy, liked military loadings.

3. Wilkinson Improved Picket Mk II - Aluminum double cavity mould w/handles, single wedge bullet with small second groove on the wedge flat, beveled base, 445 grains.

Remarks: Improved version of the Improved Picket compression bullet. This is a Wilkinson as it has two grooves (compression & fletching groove on the wedge flat.) Designed for skirmisher who wanted less powder, less lead, and less recoil.

4. Wilkinson Improved Picket Mk III - Aluminum double cavity mould w/handles, improved Mk II bullet, beveled base is now a boat-tail, 437 grains

5. Wilkinson Improved Picket Mk III - Aluminum triple cavity mould w/o handles, improved Mk II bullet, beveled base is now a boat-tail, 437 grains

6. Wilkinson Improved Picket Mk III - Steel double cavity mould w/o handles, improved Mk II bullet, beveled base is now a boat-tail, 440 grains

Remarks: Bullet was a refinement of Mk II, lighter, better ballistics, and very accurate. Works with loads ranging from 39 to 70 grains depending on powder and lube.

7. Wilkinson Mk IV - Aluminum single cavity mould w captive core pin & handles, two wedge bullet, redesigned nose, boat-tailed indexable base, 510 grains.

Remarks: Designed based on US International Muzzle Loading Team members Ed Schneeman and Don Dixons comments about 100 meter international & long range competition requirements. The bullet is designed to compete against the huge 600 plus some grain minie' bullets :shock: used by freestyle rifles in the International Minie' competition, The original Mk I nose was redesigned, wedges & base redesigned to give the 487 grain version of this bullet a BC of 0.323 as compared to 0.2 for a 500 grain old style minie'. This made the Mk IV "slicker" than the huge minie's and gave it less recoil in stock rifles. :lol: Testing of the bullet indicate it gives up to 15% tighter groups than the Mk III.

Bob as far as I'm aware NE trade Company has sold out their inventory of Wilkinson bullets and no more will be fothcoming. I still have some moulds, and hope to be making improved versions of the Mk III and IV Wilkinson bullets again soon.

Best Wishes:

Greg Edington 8)

Greg, put me down for a Mk IV mould as soon as possible, preferably a six cavity.
    John.
    "What! what! men, dodging this way for single bullets! What will you do when they open fire along the whole line? I am ashamed of you. They couldn’t hit an elephant at this distance."
    General John Sedgwick, US Army.

Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin

Wilkinson improved picketMKIII

Hi Greg,
    Do you have any of the triple cavity Improved Picket MKIII available ?I want to use it in a Gatling gun. Please email direct at yknotknit@aol.com Bob

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    John,

Unfortnately the best I could do on the 58 caliber moulds is three cavities for right now. The bullets were too large to do six cavities on the available aluminum 6063 block. I toyed with the ideal of doing a four cavity steel block, but it runs into overheating issues to the point were a two cavity block is almost as fast and lighter too. I'm investigating doing a four cavity mould for the Mk IV out of 2024 Duraluminum gear alloy so that it can maintain production and be durable.

Best Wishes:

Greg Edington

OK, sounds good!
    "What! what! men, dodging this way for single bullets! What will you do when they open fire along the whole line? I am ashamed of you. They couldn’t hit an elephant at this distance."
    General John Sedgwick, US Army.

Team:
    13th Confederate Infantry
    0829V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Hi Greg,

If you still have a MKIII and MK IV mould I would to purchase, Please respond to my email, etb9601@aol.com.

Thank you,

Charlie Hahn

Team:
    13th Confederate Infantry
    0829V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Hi Greg,

If you still have a MKIII and MK IV mould I would to purchase, Please respond to my email, etb9601@aol.com.

Thank you,

Charlie Hahn

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Wilkinson Mk IV Bullets

Hello,

I may be doing a run of the Wilkinson Mk IV bullets in steel. I've decided it's worth doing if there is the demand, and the Mk IV design justifies the effort.

Wilkinson Mk IV prototype 58 caliber long range bullet about 510 grains

The bullet offers some real performance improvements over the Mk III and would incorporate the following improvements

1. The mold will be two cavities vs. one
    2. The mold will be 1214 manganese carbon steel vs. 6063 Aluminum
    3. The mold will be base pour vs. nose pour increasing casting speed
    4. The mold will have a fletching groove per the Mk III that can be marked to index the bullet upon loading.
    5. The air vents are redesigned to improve surface finish and castability.
    6. No nose flat

I'm not taking orders just seeing if there is interest in the improved mold, and bullet design.

Best Wishes:

Greg Edington 8)

Region:
    Visitor
    Greg,

Do you have any feedback on the performance of the Wilkinson bullet at long range? Here in the UK the Muzzle Loaders Association of Great Britain holds National Rifle Championships for Enfields out to 600 yards and a club I am in ( the Long Range Rifles Branch of the MLAGB ) has an aggregate match for Enfields fired at 600 and 800 yards.

I currently shoot an original Short Rifle dated 1866, with heavy barrel and 1 in 48 twist rifling. I size my 565 grain Minie to .577. This combination gives me good accuracy (I won the 600 yard Championships last year and was second this year. Also won an aggregate match fired at 200, 300 & 400 yards earlier this month).

I am just wondering about any reduced recoil benefits of your 510 grain Mk.IV and possible improvement in accuracy. I am not however aware of much long range (beyond 200yd) shooting with Enfields in the US, but am keen to know at what ranges you have feedback for.

Regards,

David
    David Minshall - www.researchpress.co.uk - www.facebook.com/ResearchPress
    Firearms, long range target shooting and associated history