Thread: Old gear

Team:
    34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry
    3020V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts

Old gear

I was digging through some old gear and found my first Minie mould, a Lyman 575213, bought in 1969. It had a little rust on it, but it cleaned up nicely. Just for old times sake, I cast up some Minies and I'll see how they shoot through my P-H 2 bander.

I still use my cap pouch and a belt that were both bought in '69 as well. Sure glad I bought that belt big back then!

I'm sure there is gear on the line that is older than mine. Please post.
    Gil Davis Tercenio
    # 3020V
    34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry
    Great, great grandson of Cpl Elijah S Davis, Co I, 6th Alabama Inf CSA

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    I have some personal leather gear experiences - although not as "seasoned" as the initial thread...

Not sure who the individual was who made this particular brand of leathers, but he marked his products with a small raven/crow. Back in the early 80's when I started skirmishing I purchased a carbine pouch and frog for my Zouave bayonet. I have to say, that those items have held up VERY well. I passed on my carbine case last year, opting for a federal case, but that rebel-type case was great, well made with quality leather, great dimensions, it "rode" well on the belt, and on the firing line.

Would love to find out if this gentleman is still producing leathers, I'd be an eager returning customer!
    Semper Fi,
    Rob Freeman
    Col, USMC (Ret.)
    1987-2019

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor. - Vince Lombardi

Team:
    3020V
    Region:
    Rob, your team mate, Paul Hayes, is about my age. His daddy Frank was one of the 1st WBR members I ever met. Frank gave my pappy directions to the first skirmish that we ever attended, the Fall National 1969. That's where I got my Zouave and leather gear. Paul and I started shooting on the WBR's C & D teams. Paul has moved up nicely.

Me? Well, I'm still making white smoke and slinging lead downrange.
    Gil Davis Tercenio
    # 3020V

Team:
    1st Maryland Cavalry, CSA
    Region:

"Thunderbird" stamped leather goods

The "Thunderbird" stamp on leather goods identify them to being made by my Grandfather, Ellis Scanlan. He made cavalry boxes, cap boxes, bayonet frogs, and pistol holsters that were sold by a couple different Sutlers. The cavalry cartridge box and cap box were patterned off original confederate leather gear that he diasassembled to copy. He used 4-5 oz heavy leather for most of his products which is why quite a few are still in use today. He quit making then in around 1990. I believe Tommy Johnson is the only person still making quality leather gear that is reasonably priced for skirmisher use.Tim

Team:
    3020V
    Region:
    Glad to see you posting, Tim.

My prayers for your continued recovery.

Gil
    Gil Davis Tercenio
    # 3020V

Region:
    Tim,

First off - glad to see that you're posting. I hope that you're not experiencing very much discomfort, and that your recovery is progressing well. I too suffered a serious eye injury some time back, and I know that they're certainly NO picnic.

Had NO idea your grandfather made those leather items! You're absolutely right about their quality, I lent/shared my carbine cartridge box with the condition that it be cared for and returned to ME when no longer used/wanted.

By chance do you happen to have any cap pouches that he made?? I'd LOVE to get my hands on one!

Take care, rest up and get well!!

Semper Fi,
    Rob Freeman
    Semper Fi,
    Rob Freeman
    Col, USMC (Ret.)
    1987-2019

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor. - Vince Lombardi