Thread: 1816 Stock repair

Region:
    None

1816 Stock repair

I was wondering if ya'll could recommend someone who is good with repairing original stocks. This one has a slight crack on the outside at the front of the lock mortice. Also it has what appears to be black moisture stains on the butt. The buttpkate screws are pretty much rusted in place and don't wanna give for removal. Buttplate will get replaced due to heavy pitting.

The overall finish isn't really bad and there are some cartouche marks and carvings that i would like to save.

Thanks,

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    N/A
    Region:
    Visitor

Cracks at the front or rear of the lock mortise as well as between the foward lock bolt head and the start of the barrel channel are common on an 1816. Try carefully spreading the gap enough to work some Tightbond
    glue into it and clamp it. If the crack is very tight try shooting some supe glue into it, again with a clamp. Either way, the glue has to work its way down through the entire thickness of the wood that's cracked, not just slightly below the visible surface.

Duane

Team:
    na
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    I would not use glue on it at all....I've been repairing antique guns for 40 yrs. and glue will not work unless it's properly prepared. Remember, that wood is soaked with oil and glue will not set on oil. it has to be pinned from under the crack and then glue set.
    Send me a picture and I'll advise you.... and yes, I can do it if you want. Ken

kensantanello@comcast.net

Region:
    None
    Name:  021.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  91.3 KBName:  022.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  93.7 KBName:  023.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  88.7 KB

Region:
    None
    The crack really isn't too bad. More like a partial splinter I guess.

Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina
    It seems that your crack is not in a stress point. If you can open up crack and get some Monkey glue (gorilla glue) in with a tooth pick or blow it in with a coffee stir straw. Clamp it tight with a wood clamp. Wipe off excess and let set. I don't think you have to worry to much about oil in the wood I am sure after almost 200 years it is pretty dry. After crack is glue you might want to take some wood filler and touch up crack with out using to much to show that your covering up the crack. After all repairs are done then you can apply boiled Linssed Oil in daily coats until it begins to be tacky and takes days to dry this is a sign that the stock has soaked up all oil that it can from surface. Put the oil everywhere even ramrod channel and inside of lock recess. The more area you apply will prevent cracks in the future. Rich

Team:
    na
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Ok, I've got some advice..the stock is dried out, which means the wood will probably not hold a glue. If you do use glue, use long set epoxy, not the 5 minute kind. .
    1. try to remove any old soft wood first. you have to have a strong base.
    2. coat the lock with a car wax that forms a white coating that has to be buffed off. Glass wax, etc.
    this prevents the epoxy from sticking to the metal. dont forget the screws and screw holes.
    3. mix the epoxy and some sawdust from a compatable wood. fine sawdust from walnut scrap works very well. mix well and put a lot in to farm a brown paste.
    4. put the stock together and clamp tightly. you want a lot of wood contact and less glue. wipe of excess and let sit for two days.. put a lot on the hole where there is no wood, this will fill the gap.
    5. when dry, you can sand and finish it to the surrounding wood. To get a perfect match, I pad with dry colors and shellac to blend in the repair.
    done right, you cannot see or feel the repair.
    6. for extra strenght, you can drill a small hole from the inside of the lock opening, and push in a nail covered with epoxy. this holds everything tight. do this after the initial work.
    I never recommend gorilla glue, or wood glue. they just don't have the strength of epoxy.