Thread: Safety glasses

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    na
    Region:
    Visitor

Safety glasses

This might be in the wrong forum, move it if needed.
    My 13 year old son will be shooting in our local events for the first time this summer, I shoot CWSA, not N-SSA. My question is, does anyone know where I can buy a pair of safety type glasses, that don't look like the usual safety glasses? He wants to look correct on the firing line, and not that it matters, but he'll be shooting a repo Maynard.
    Thank you for your time.

You can purchase safety glasses that look like sunglasses, in the cool colors ( if that is what your son is looking for) at Walmart, Sears hardware section, or any hardware store, Bass Pro shops, Cabelas's or any outdoor store. They dont look like the typical safety glasses, or shooting glasses you usually thing about. I live in central Maryland, and all those places should have what you or son is looking for.

Thanks,
    Tony Virando
    1st Maryland Artillery C.S.A.
    Comp# 10652

Re: Safety glasses

Quote Originally Posted by stuffy25thia
    He wants to look correct on the firing line, and not that it matters, but he'll be shooting a repo Maynard.
    Tony, I am pretty sure you missed the point. I think his son wants to look correct, like period correct, as in the Civil War period, but still not lose an eye.

If that is the case, I had a pair of lenses made for a set of period frames I picked up on eBay. I would also like to hear other options, if I am understanding Stuffy correctly.
    Chris Hubbard
    146th New York Volunteer Infantry (ACWSA)

Team:
    na
    Region:
    Visitor

Re: Safety glasses

Quote Originally Posted by C. R. Hubbard
    Quote Originally Posted by stuffy25thia
    He wants to look correct on the firing line, and not that it matters, but he'll be shooting a repo Maynard.
    Tony, I am pretty sure you missed the point. I think his son wants to look correct, like period correct, as in the Civil War period, but still not lose an eye.

If that is the case, I had a pair of lenses made for a set of period frames I picked up on eBay. I would also like to hear other options, if I am understanding Stuffy correctly.
    Correct, he wants to look the part, not just fancy safety glasses.

Sorry about that!!! I was thinking about what most 13 year olds would want. In fact I find myself thinking like most 13 year olds,a lot more than a 34 year old should ( HEE, HEE, HEE)!!! Now I understand what you are looking for. Follow what Mr Hubbard said, and you should find what you need.

Thanks,
    Tony Virando
    1st Maryland Artillery C.S.A.
    COMP# 10652

Gentlemen,
    Chris has the best option. For best impact resistance, order polycarbonate lenses, bor best clarity, you want CR39, or for a combination, get Trivex. all three are priced differently, all need a scratch resistant coating and don't forget, "Speed costs money, how fast you want to go?"
    Greg Ogdan, 11444
    110th OVI

Team:
    na
    Region:
    Visitor
    Thanks everyone for your info, I think I'll talk to my local eye Doc. and see what money is going to be needed.

Team:
    149th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Safety glasses

Gentlemen,
    Be wary of the polycarbonate glasses. They don't hold up to back splash from caps.(The main reason of safety glasses.) I had them and the splatter from caps going off left them pock marked. I went back to glass.
    Just another view.
    When in doubt, mumble, when in trouble, delegate.

Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana
    For the "period look" in frames, check out the reading glasses section in any department store. Because of their small size, many are almost exactly civil war style wire rims, and also cheap! The lenses will cost you more than the frames.