Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pritchett bullet mould

Team:
    8th Texas Cavalry (Terry's Texas Rangers)
    Region:
    Northeast- New York

Pritchett bullet mould

I know we have a number of talented mould makers in our wonderful organization, but is there anyone making a Pritchett bullet mould for an original Enfield .577 rifle? I would even entertain trying a paper patched ball (outside N-SSA shooting). Thanks in advance for your help.
    Rascus

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas

Re: Pritchett Bullet Mold

I don't have a solution for you, but I will be keep an eye on this thread, as this also greatly interests me.
    So, some comments:
    Are you talking about a P53 or P58 Enfield? Apparently the rifling twists are different, and thus they require different weight bullets, etc. I shoot Lyman .575 "Old Style"s out of my ArmiSport P53, but they usually cast too large [they average about .577, the same diameter as lands ] and I can't fire many before it becomes impossible to load. Once lost the head of my ramrod that way. Also, I'm not the best shot, but I found the produced accuracy to be rather disappointing.
    So I have also been looking for a Pritchett mold for some time, but they are certainly expensive, uncommon, and often not the correct diameter or weight. You would have to get a mold custom made. So here's what I can tell you that I've learned on this matter:
    Apparently, original Pritchett's were .550, 500 grains, and had a wooden or iron plug, which forced skirt expansion and allowed ease of loading. Most of us who shoot recreationally can't do plugs, so a solution that can be found is an un-plugged .569 Pritchett. Many different diagrams exist for this bullet (I like this one: http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...hettBullet.jpg), but I'm not sure whether they are meant to be shot from the '53 or the '58. I have contacted several makers, and they are either not in business anymore, or will only do a custom mold, which will run you about $200.

Team:
    8th Texas Cavalry (Terry's Texas Rangers)
    Region:
    Northeast- New York

mold

This here is Rascus, I ain't sure we have Pritchett mold but I will check, the last time the health inspector was here at the house, I think they said we had that on some of Daisy Mae's Brownies.
    I will get back to you as soon as possible. As far as paper patches-we can't seem to keep enough around, the bathroom is always out, sorry.

Region:
    I had run across a web article not too long ago where the shooter had made plugs out of Bondo. Cool idea - if you had a little mold made - imagine a tiny muffin pan made out of plastic - you could probably machine the pockets into a nylon cutting board - you could squeegee Bondo across the face of the board and fill in hundreds of divots and when they harden just pop them out like little ice cubes.

Steve

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Hi there,

There is no one that makes an "of the shelf" mould for a Pritchett bullet. I had mine made by Brook's Moulds in Montana. Excellent product...

For some information on shooting these, go here http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/ and search for "Pritchett". There are many threads and I don't know of anywhere that has as much information on this bullet (or indeed as many people shooting them).

Rob
    Last edited by robertdeans72; 03-24-2013 at 11:47 PM.

Region:

Re: Brook's Pritchett Mold

robertdeans72,
    Do you have the specs on that bullet? How well does it shoot, and what do you shoot it out of? Do you use plugs? And, if you don't mind, how much did it cost?
    Thanks,
    Will Thoms

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Will,

The diagram you linked to in your first post is mine...... (from my photobucket account)..... Its one of those "custom moulds" you also refered to. As far as shooting goes, it shoots better than the historical requirement of a Figure of Merit of 14" or 15" at 500yds. It will shoot (extrapolated) a 500yd FoM of 11". That translates into this....

I have a second base plug that is shallow.

Both are adjustable for height of bullet. I shoot it out of a PH P53 and a JRA P60 Army Short Rifle, albeit with a Hoyt seven groove, 1-60 barrel. I have yet to work up my PH Naval Rifle. I don't use plugs........If I may, I would really encourage you to visit http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/ as the amount of info there is too great to reproduce here...

Rob
    Last edited by robertdeans72; 03-24-2013 at 11:53 PM.

Region:
    I like that spreadsheet. Can I get a copy of it? What sort of target do you use that you can trasnfer XY coordinates?

Steve

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Hi Steve,

You can get a copy,.... Just need your email... As for the target, it is just a piece of "inch grid" flip-chart paper with a piece of black construction paper glued to it, for an aiming mark... Much faster than measuring each X and Y with a ruler....

Rob

Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana

pritchett mold

If you really want to get as close to original as possible, College Hill Arsenal has an original pritchett mold for sale. It appears to be complete and in very good shape. I think it's 26 bore.<br><br>Dan M