Thread: Horse pistol competition

Team:
    149th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Horse pistol competition

Anyone know what happened to the proposal to allow Horse pistol (smoothbore pistol individual competition) at the BOD meeting in Jan.?
    When in doubt, mumble, when in trouble, delegate.

Team:
    09575v
    Region:
    Email sent
    Joe Plakis XXVIII
    Middle-Atlantic Region
    SAC
    9575V

"Great leadership does not mean running away from reality. Sometimes the hard truths might just demoralize the company, but at other times sharing difficulties can inspire people to take action that will make the situation better." John Kotter

Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina
    I would like to know as well...

Team:
    Region:
    Don an all,

Joe Plakis has relayed to me that the BOD has shown "interest" but tabled the proposal.

The "Proposal" to allow individual only, single shot smoothbore (aka horse or holster pistol) 25yand 50y competition with an aggregate. Not to be included in any other aggregate or team event. I submitted a set of rules to be considered and approved. What I lack is the source of knowledge of determining which arms would be allowed. My only source was Flaydermans 8th edition. My thinking was the Small Arms committee would be better qualified to make those decisions. Abiding by the N-SSA rules of what constitutes as issued, Flaydermans is a good first choice for resource. But when it comes to foreign, as many firearms were imported during those years, I have no source.

As a suggestion, the following I considered approved firearms:
    Mdl 1811,13,16,19,26 (Simeon North)
    Mdl 1817 (Springfield)
    Mdl 1826 (Evans)
    Mdl 1836 (Asa Waters & Robert Johnson)
    A.H. Waters made c. mid 1840's to 1849
    Mdl 1842 (Henry Aston) Note here that the Aston is probably the most available firearm today and affordable.
    " (N. Johnson)
    Palmetto
    Mdl 1842 Navy or box lock (N.P. Ames)
    Henry Deringer standard and Navy

Martial smoothbore arms stop there. Beginning with the Mdl 1855 pistol carbine, horse pistols became rifled and are not considered in the proposal for competition. There are other arms that could be considered but I do not include them because of the rarity and high cost makes them highly improbable to be purchased and used in competition. If desired, flintlocks could be considered but again I did not include them on practically purposes. To my knowledge, no reproductions of the above are being manufactured today. Perhaps in the future and if approved and enough interest is generated, reproductions would become available.

If anyone is interested in helping with this endevor or would like to participate in this competition, please contact your team and regional cmdrs. to show your interest. This competition will not require any additional time to the Nat'l. program. It is strictly individuals only. The cost is some more targets scored and medals alloted per N-SSA rules and alittle more income to be borne only by those that desire to compete.

Below is my proposal to the BOD.

Proposal
    Rule changes and additions to include individual only single shot pistol competition.
    12.1 Individual matches, National Skirmishes
    Add item k. Single Shot Pistol (holster pistol) match 25 yards, target N-SSA #5. 5 shots/bull.
    Add item l. Single shot pistol (holster pistol) match 50 yards. Target N-SSA #4. 10 shots max.
    Add item j. Single shot pistol aggregate (aggregate of 25 yd. and 50 yd. single shot pistol scores.
    Add item k. Single shot pistol 25 yds.
    Add item l. Single shot pistol 50 yds.
    Section 14 Small arms
    Amend item g. to read revolver: any percussion revolver (having a revolving cylinder) suitable for general issue to military forces.
    Add item l. Single shot pistol (holster pistol). Any percussion or flintlock muzzle loading single shot pistol having a smoothbore barrel length of 6” to 10 ¾” .54 or .69 cal.
    Section 25 Loading and clearing small arms.
    Amend 25.6 to read:
    A single shot pistol or revolver cylinder may be loaded in place. The single shot pistol or revolver cylinder may be removed and loaded in a loading device. In revolver cylinders - fillers or wads may be used in the cylinders and all chambers must be greased on top of the powder and projectile.
    a. Revolver chambers shall not be capped until the cylinder has been returned in place to the revolver.
    b. The revolver or single shot pistol is on the firing line.
    c. The command to cap the single shot pistol or revolver has been given.
    d. A capping device may be used for either firearm.
    Section 30.4.3
    Amend to read: Revolver and single shot pistol.
    Section 31 Awards
    Item 31.2
    For a trial period of two National Skirmishs it is recommended that only 2 medals be awarded and that all competitors compete unclassified.
    It is not recommended at this time to award DSA points for single shot pistol or to include single shot pistol aggregate scores to the 5 gun aggregate.
    Note:
    1. All other concerns I believe are covered in other sections such as smoothbore, clearing small arms, flintlocks, etc.
    2. I am not aware of any reproduction percussion smoothbore single shot pistols being manufactured at this time. There are flintlock reproductions available. A small sampling of the world wide web shows a number of original percussion single shot pistols available ranging from approximately $600 to $2000, depending on condition. Some others but their rarity and expense seems to make them unlikely to be purchased. At the 2012 Baltimore gun show, there were a number of percussion pistols available in the same price range. If this event were to garner enough interest, perhaps reproductions may be manufactured in the future.
    When in doubt, mumble, when in trouble, delegate.

Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina
    Thank you.