Thread: Henry Bullets 44 - 40

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas

Henry Bullets 44 - 40

Hello Ed,

I went to www.magnusbullets.com and they offer several 44 - 40 bullets for sale. A model 707 is 240 grain .427 - .428 diameter. A model 708 is a little larger in diameter at .429 - .430 and also 240 grain. There is a model 703 at 200 grains and .427 - .428 diameter. Have you ordered from their web site?

Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina
    You will probably find that most of the precast bullets offered for the 44-40 are really designed for smokeless powder guns. Most often these bullets donn't have grooves that will carry enough lube for shooting black powder. I have tried several different ones with very poor results. :cry:
    Fletcher Pastore
    Cockade Rifles

3. I have not ordered directly from their web site as they have told me when I called, that "small" orders are processed when they have time and it would take several weeks before they would get to my order. I have bought the bullets from some 3rd GA shooters who also use this bullet. They pooled together and apparently bought enough to make a large order. They ordered them unsized and unlubed. I have gone through my 800 rounds and I am looking to order some more. I was planning on talking to them this week to see if they will send out a "small" order or if they still require a significant order to get prompt service.

I believe this bullet was the 708 as I size to .429. Works well in my Ballard also. (You saw the result after I adjusted my sight on the tiles this past weekend when I shot with your bunch )

Fletcher, these bullets have a grease groove that holds enough SPG lube to do the job. They are also hard enough that leading is reduced significantly. This is a Cowboy Action bullet so it is designed with BP in mind.
    Edwin Flint
    14th Mississippi Infantry, N-SSA
    Deputy Commander, DS Region

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Trust me, you need a bullet that holds more BP lube for sustained shooting. The MAV .44 "Big Lube" may cost more but it's worth it. I've cast my own for years. Go here & scroll down:

http://www.whyteleatherworks.com/Accessory%20page.htm

5. What do you consider sustained fire?

With my Henry, I have fired 25 rounds without any trouble or loss of accuracy. This is more than sufficient to get through a relay. Over 18 rounds in my Ballard, accuracy suffers a bit but this I think is due to leading more than fouling. Cleaning between relays solves any leading and fouling build up.

This bullet Magnus bullet seems to perform well. Also, the 240 grain bullet performs better at 100 yards than the lighter bullets.
    Edwin Flint
    14th Mississippi Infantry, N-SSA
    Deputy Commander, DS Region

MR. GADGET is offline Moderator
    Team:
    Rowan Artillery
    11873V
    Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Boge
    Trust me, you need a bullet that holds more BP lube for sustained shooting. The MAV .44 "Big Lube" may cost more but it's worth it. I've cast my own for years. Go here & scroll down:

http://www.whyteleatherworks.com/Accessory%20page.htm
    I ordered from that guy and after a lot of BS and time I had to ask for my money that was paid up front, money order. Even that took weeks.
    He said that he would cast this weekend and ship on monday then that turned in to going to a show and did not get to it. Weeks later he said that it was to hot to ship them and wanted a few more weeks and I would see them. ..And more BS
    MR. GADGET
    NRA LIFE BENEFACTOR MEMBER
    Rowan Artillery
    N-SSA National Provost Guard

Just remember!
    When a pot needs stirring, someone needs to do it...