Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyman #55 powder measure vs. Classic Black Powder measure?

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas

Lyman #55 powder measure vs. Classic Black Powder measure?

So Lyman says not to use their Lyman #55 powder measure for black powder, you should use the #55 Classic Black Powder measure.

The black powder one is $140, the other one is $83. The one for black powder is made with aluminum and brass parts:

"The Lyman #55 Classic Black Powder Measure is a redesign of the #55 powder measure. It is a must have for blackpowder cartridge silhouette and cowboy action shooters. The internal metering bars rotate in a non-sparking brass sleeve while a large non-static aluminum powder reservoir holds a pound of blackpowder."

I know that Goex is now shipping in plastic containers, so static must not be much of an issue.

What do you guys think? I've heard a lot of you are using the cheaper one.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/703...powder-measure

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/677...h-24-drop-tube

Steve

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

powder measure

believe it or not i use a Lee shot shell loader. the bushings work perfect for black powder loads. and is quite accurate at dropping the correct charges. who woulda thunk?

Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Lyman #55 powder measure vs. Classic Black Powder measure?

I have been using the Lyman 55 for black powder for 47 years. To date I have had no problems other than after I use it I take the brass drum out and I clean it. If I do not clean it has a tendency to stick and not dump the same charge nex time I use it.

As far as plastic being a problem - Swiss Black powder comes in a plastic container, Goex comes in a plastic bag if you buy 25 pounds. If you are worried about having an explosion while loading black powder I would suggest that you do not smoke or do it close to an open flame & you will be fine.

Joe Plakis Jr
    Hampton Legion 00302V

Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina
    I have used lyman 55, RCBS and Lyman blackpowder measure. No problem with any. Been shirmishing for 35 years. Can't tell you how many pounds of powder went through them. If you want to get a better price for lyman blackpowder measure go to OPTICSPLANET and they have it for 114.00 without extended drop tubes. Don't let $40.00 worry you over an explosion. Rich Foster

Team:
    12th Regiment Pennsylvania Reserve Volunteers
    Region:
    Allegheny - Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia
    I've used several 55s for about 40 years. Never had a problem. They do corrode if you don't keep them clean after you use them. I have a couple for sale if any one needs one!

Fred

Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Lyman 55

If you want to buy one look at Graf & Sons http://www.grafs.com/catalog/product...10536/inline/1
    They are $80.99 and that includes shipping.

Joe Plakis Jr 00302V
    Hampton Legion

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    If you want to buy one look at Graf & Sons http://www.grafs.com/catalog/product...10536/inline/1
    They are $80.99 and that includes shipping.
    That looks to be the non-black powder version.

Steve

Bullseye54 is offline Banned
    Team:
    15th Connecticut Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts

Classic 55

Bought mine from Midway on sale awile back... I trust the experts .. If they say not for B/P they mean it for a reason... Is 25 /40. bucks worth the damage that could happen? If something can go wrong, it will sooner or later...

John Holland is online now Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    I have used the old style Orange colored Lyman 55 powder droppers for black powder (BP) loading for over 50 years and have never experienced any problems with static situations. I have seen smokless powders "cling" to the sides of the plastic hopper, but never BP. Like Joe Plakis Jr. said, you do have to keep the drum and cast iron assemblies clean after use. This is because the nearly invisible remaining BP dust will draw moisture and cause the whole thing to sieze up, with the cast iron drop section actually rusting after a time period. I have watched for the Lyman 55 at every little rinkey-dink gun show I have ever gone to and purchased them when they were cheap. I just bought another one last weekend for $20.

My ever patient wife asked me one time years ago why I had so many Lyman 55 droppers. I explained that I have one set up for everything I load for. I received the usual long suffering "Oh, OK." That was until she was allowed to become a skirmisher and began competing in all N-SSA shooting disciplines. I cheerfully dug into my reserve of Lyman 55 droppers and set one up for every arm she was loading for. Yes, she does her own casting and loading! After experiencing the ease of just changing droppers for the next load, instead of changing the dropper itself, she said "I sure am glad you bought all those powder droppers!"

JDH

Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina
    GO TO http://www.opticsplanet.com/lyman-55...r-measure.html and they have the lyman 55 blackpowder measure for 114.99 it comes with drop tube as the regular #55 plus alot of other gun related products on there site. I bought my spotting scope through them. Rich
    Last edited by Rich Foster; 02-08-2013 at 10:27 AM.