Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lyman #55 powder measure vs. Classic Black Powder measure?

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    na
    Region:
    Visitor
    I've put 50lbs of BP through my RCBS Uniflow no problems but you have to keep it clean after each use.
    NRA Life Member
    Old Dominion Dragoons 1984-1992

Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana

Lyman Powder Measures

I have been using the standard Lyman #55 measure for black powder since 1974 when I started Skirmishing and have never had a problem. I pick them up at gun shows for $15 to $35.00 used and like Mr. Holland use them for different loads. The only maintenance I do is clean them at the end of the shooting season. I found no need to clean them after each use since I use them almost weekly.

Dennis Schuler
    4th Kentucky Cavalry, CSA
    1561V

Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina
    I think that you'll find that a very large percentage of BP run thru a powder measure over the past century has been thru a 55 or earlier variant as well as most other types of measures. I have several 55s with boxes that state "For All Powders" and they are from over several decades. Do a search and see if you can find evidence of any powder measure "exploding" while using BP due to static electricity. Can it happen? Yes. Never say never. But based on information available and there's a lot of it, you are more likely to get hit by lighting while in the shower sipping a mint julip, singing "Maria" and using Herbal Essence strawberry scented shampoo. Those odds ought to be pretty long but just to be safe I sing "Jail House Rock" sometimes.
    Paul Lampman, 00263V
    Cockade Rifles

Team:
    1st New Jersey Light Artillery
    11416V
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Powder Measure

I'm still partial to my ancient Belding & Mull.

Bullseye54 is offline Banned
    Team:
    15th Connecticut Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    And anybody with the luck of the Irish, like me.. Shouldn't take a chance.. Maybe it is from working with aircraft, but if you want to be 100% safe listen to the people that desighn it, you want to take a chance, buy a lottery ticket..

Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin
    I've used my RCBS Uniflow with black podwer since 1985. I have heard more credidible Elvis sitings than accident reports from powder measures blowing up. I'll never say never, but I'm still waiting for the first incident report.
    Gary Van Kauwenbergh
    Co G, 114th ILL Vol Inf
    # 10143

"Alle Kunst ist umsonst Wenn ein Engel in das Zündloch prunst."
    (In vain the skill and arts of man, When an angel pisses the priming pan.)
    Field Marshal Gebhard L. von Blücher

Ron/The Old Reb Guest
    When I first started reloading back in the 1960's I bought a Lyman#55 power measure. It would never through a consent load. At one point it drooped some squib loads with out me knowing. I went to the range to shoot my 99 Savage, when I fired the squib load the bullet stuck about half way down the barrel. Luckily I did not chamber another round and fire it again. After beating the hell out of the bullet I finley got it out. I then promptly took the Lyman#55 and drooped in in the garbage can and went and bought a Ballding and Mull and have been using it ever since.

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    The idea that static can set off BP is a myth. Google it, and you'll see a guy zapping black powder with 50,000 volts with no issue.

To set it off, you need heat. Grinding the powder between two surfaces could do it, and in that regard supposed black powder measures are no better than standard. Go slow, if you feel it bind, don't force it.

I personally use a cheapo Lee perfect powder measure. No metal anywhere to grind anything. Works great.

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Some old ground, an interesting experiment, and a risky conclusion. More study needed.

Region:
    Visitor
    How reasonable is your insurance company? Are they the kind that looks for a reason not to pay? If you are using a powder measure that the manufacturer has stated is not for black powder and you do have a problem will they accuse you of gross negligence and disallow your claim for what ever misfortune may have occurred?

A long time ago I sent my #55 back to the place where I purchased it on the grounds the mfg. stated in the manual it was not for BP and had them send me the one the mfg, Lyman, said was okay. They did just that even though they were selling the #55 for BP use. I did that purely based on concerns about my insurance if something bad did happen.

Buffalo Arms sells a brass hopper to work on the #55 for $29 unthreaded and $33 threaded. Would that satisfy the kind of insurance company that looks for ways not to pay claims? I doubt it.

Regarding plastic container, not all plastic is created equal. Some is specifically designed not to carry an electric charge. That is what the powder companies use. How bad could it get? Believe you me, they don't want to get sued should an explosion occur. That's known as you bet your company. What we are talking about is you bet your .... I once was a Marine. I was willing to play that game under the right circumstances.

Think about it. I have no idea whether any claim has ever ever been rejected based on my concern. I just didn't want to be the first if my house were to burn down. I didn't want to be operating the measure if it did let go. Have you noticed that Harrel makes special measures for BP as well. I wonder why?

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but this can get very serious. Why did the powder monkeys on the sailing ships have to wear felt slippers when they went into the powder magazine? Anybody have any idea about how careful they were in the battleships of WW II vintage regarding static electricity? I believe they may have used BP to set off the main charges in the main turrets.

Again, I really hate to drag out a wet blanket.
    Last edited by Pat in Virginia; 04-28-2013 at 06:31 PM.