Thread: Replica whitney revolver questions

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Replica whitney revolver questions

I have found a whitney replica and wanted to get some opinions. I understand these are no longer being made and always sorta regretted not grabbing one. This one is marked ARMSPORT INC. MOD. 5022 and of course MADE IN ITALY on the left barrel flat. Top flat is 1861 E. WHITNEY .36 CALIBER, right flat has the usual Italian proofs along with the normal BLACK POWDER ONLY markings. The serial number on the bottom of the gripstrap is #31 (in small numerals) and then after a space 387 in slightly larger numerals, which is repeated on the cylinder and loadind lever. On the frame it has the two italian proofs with a box in between that contains the letters AC.
    Is there any way to date when this was made, and any opinions to quality? (as far as Italian replicas go)
    I don't think it has been fired much if at all, it does show slight handling but nothing detracting. At 200.00 would this be a fair price?

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    GPM,

The date code of "AC" is for the year 1977.

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Thanks John, I had no idea they made the whitney replica that far back.

Team:
    1st Maine Heavy Artillery
    2558V
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio

re: The Whitney repro...

looks nice. I bought one a few years ago but found I couldn't shoot it. The distance between the trigger guard and handle was too tight, the back of the trigger guard catches me right across my arthritic middle finger knuckle. I can't shoot a Navy Colt replica with the square back trigger guard for the same reason. Ain't getting old H---??

Bill Shuey

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Palmetto was the last maker of the Whitney. I had one for awhile. They're OK for people with smaller hands. A Whitney is perfect for someone who is a Trans-Mississippi Union reenactor as most went there during the war.

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Thanks for the replies Gents, I did buy the pistol. Action is a little stiff and trigger pull heavy. I suppose I'll try my hand at improving it some.

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    GPM,

Just as a side note, when the repro Whitney Navy first made it's appearance on the market it was also available in kit form. Suddenly there were a number of "original" Whitney Navy revolvers available in varying conditions, all appearing to be quite worn. Yep, you're right, they were kit guns that had gone through the proverbial "time tunnel"! I wonder what they look like now, some 30 years later? Actually, I saw a very good one last year. It was full blue (goood color, age faded), re-numbered in the Whitney range of numbers (close, but not quite the correct dies), and complete with a Navy Anchor acceptance stamp on the barrel (the anchor was stamped with a flat faced stamp, i.e. too broad). The revolver looked very good over all. The only real give away to the uninitiated customer was when the hammer was at full cock you could see the casting line down the center of the hammer inside the frame. The dealer who showed it to me was quite proud of having just "skimmed it" for only $500 from someone who didn't know what they had......

John Holland
    Student of "Stuff"
    Keeper of Stories!

Region:
    None

1861 E Whitney repo

I got a Armsport inc mod 5022? Its a .36 cap&ball made in Italy in a AC in a square It has the best tigger pull I have seen in a long time.I would say its about 85% condition.With a little work it will be 90%.Now I will have to have a 1858 REM..36 !!! Navy.The price was wright OH got a Ruger Old Army Both for under $525.00 A good day.

Team:
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    I had one a couple of years ago that would not shoot to within 5 feet of POA at 25 yards. When the receiver was threaded, it was so out of true that you could see the barrel skewed to the left. Maybe mine was the only one ever made like that, but make sure you do a careful quality inspection, before you put down any cash. I sold mine to someone who only wanted it for reenacting, but there's always a chance it could find its way back to N-SSA land again

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    If you really want a good Whitney, and are willing to spend big money, I'd contact Andy Baumkircher. He'll whip you up one that will perform. Be sure to tell him you need a 1 kg trigger, otherwise he'll take it down to about 1 lb.
    Support the USIMLT! Help your fellow Skirmishers go for the gold! www.usimlt.com