Thread: Only marginally related

Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Northeast- New York

Only marginally related

Santa left me dies and brass for my 50/70 Rolling Block. What grade of powder is recommended for this? I have Goex 3F but I figure that 70 grain of that might be a little robust. I got some 450 grain bullets at the Nats, and have a 490 grain mold around some where.

All suggestions as to where to start are welcome

Team:
    114th Illinois Volunteer Co. G
    7431V
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin
    I have a 50-70 rolling block and it is a sweet shooting cartridge. I load mine fairly hot with 70 grains goex FFF and a 550 grain bullet as a hunting load. This worked wonders on my last Buffalo at 120 yards (exit holes were 1.5 -2 inches) and on targets and 100 yards, as I remember 2 inch groups with open sights from the bench.

To get 70 grains into the cartridge you will need to compress the powder (I use a compression die) as the old balloon head cases had more case capacity. Without powder compression you will only be able to get 60-65 gains of powder. My rifle weighs about 11 pounds so the recoil is managable but I am also not recoil sesative.

Bill Weedman
    114th Illinois

Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    I use 57 grns.2f goex with a lee bullet. weighs in around 430 grns with a wheelweight mix. can shoot 50 rounds and still have a shoulder left. good luck.
    comp#11604 DEL BLUES

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    N/A
    Region:
    Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Weedman 7431V View Post
    I have a 50-70 rolling block and it is a sweet shooting cartridge. I load mine fairly hot with 70 grains goex FFF and a 550 grain bullet as a hunting load. This worked wonders on my last Buffalo at 120 yards (exit holes were 1.5 -2 inches) and on targets and 100 yards, as I remember 2 inch groups with open sights from the bench.

To get 70 grains into the cartridge you will need to compress the powder (I use a compression die) as the old balloon head cases had more case capacity. Without powder compression you will only be able to get 60-65 gains of powder. My rifle weighs about 11 pounds so the recoil is managable but I am also not recoil sesative.

Bill Weedman
    114th Illinois
    I'm able to get 70 gr of Swiss 1 1/2 through a drop tube in a Bell case, no wad, without a compression die.
    I use the Lee 450 gr. Government. Shoots great in my '68 TD. Recently I tried the same powder charge and bullet with a .030 wad in Starline cases. Needed just a bit of compression. I was amazed how well it shot at 100 yards in my 3 groove Sharps carbine, especially considering old eyes and battle sights.

Duane

Team:
    34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry
    10605V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    I use 70 grains of GOEX Cartridge, with a compression die and card wad, and a lubed .511 custom bullet that weighs about 500 grains in 1:10 alloy. In a Rolling Block, this load isn't too bad, and I can get the rounds in the black at 100 yards with a little Kentucky windage. Using the same load in a .50-70 Peabody rifle, it makes me want to give up shooting--we're talking severe flinching and bruised shoulder. Use a load that's accurate and comfortable in your rifle.
    "Stay on target...stay on target..." Red Leader, Battle of Yavin

Team:
    34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry
    3020V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    "Using the same load in a .50-70 Peabody rifle, it makes me want to give up shooting--we're talking severe flinching and bruised shoulder."

Michael, that's because you is such a scrawny little feller. Pack on a few pounds, like me, and that ole gun won't hurt so bad.
    Gil Davis Tercenio
    # 3020V
    34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry
    Great, great grandson of Cpl Elijah S Davis, Co I, 6th Alabama Inf CSA