Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range Finder

Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts

Range Finder

Hi all,
    I have been looking for info on the small, I believe triangular shaped, range finder that was used during the Civil War period. I searched this sight with no luck, maybe it was somewhere else that I saw one.
    Could anyone direct me in the right direction ? I would like to get either a templet or dimentions for making one.
    I've heard that Berdans Sharpshooters were given one of these as a reward during compition shooting events and were worn as a Medal as well.
    Would anyone know to what distance and the accuracy these range finders were capable of ?
    Thanks, Nightstalker

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    5795V
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Is this that which ye seek? It is called a Stadia. If the link does not work hit ebay and put in range finder stadia and you should find an original priced at $113 http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...978&cmd=VIDESC
    Never squat with yer spurs on!!!

Pat "PJ" Kelly #5795V
    Virginny & Texas
    540-878-8024

MAYNARDS RULE!! & starr's DROOL!
    Hence the rust. MAYNARDAE LAUS DEO!

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Pat,

Looks identical to the 'Stadia' I made up for myself using common sheet brass based off of information from "Lord's, Civil War Encyclopedia".

Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts

Range Finder

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderANV View Post
    Is this that which ye seek? It is called a Stadia. If the link does not work hit ebay and put in range finder stadia and you should find an original priced at $113 http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...978&cmd=VIDESC
    Thanks Raider, That's exactly what I was looking for, but without the proper name for it I couldn't find it.
    Have you ever used one or heard if they worked well? I'll check this out further. Thanks again, a big help.
    All the best, Nightstalker

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Respectfully, I believe what you are looking at on EBAY is a modern FAKE! It is bad enough that so many people call the Cavalry...the Calvary....which has Biblical conotations only, but the Frankford Arsenal NEVER used the word "Cavalary" for mounted troops, much less the font is all wrong. And my friends want to know why don't I buy off Ebay....Oh, let me count the reasons...."Cavalary", etc. ad nauseum.

JDH

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Everyone knows that cavalary is biblical cavalry.

Steve

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    5795V
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    John to the rescue again! Frankly I only looked for a few seconds to see if it was a Stadia so he would be on the right page since his intent was to make one. I didn't look that close at it and most likely would not have noticed the mistakes John found either. Now........if it was a Maynard I was ah look'n at...... I made one from an original someone had many many moons ago who my father knew. Copied it flawlessly. Problem was it was off about 25%. I'd guessed it was due to the average height of a soldier being only 5'4" back then and me and my buddies all were over 6'2"???
    Never squat with yer spurs on!!!

Pat "PJ" Kelly #5795V
    Virginny & Texas
    540-878-8024

MAYNARDS RULE!! & starr's DROOL!
    Hence the rust. MAYNARDAE LAUS DEO!

Region:
    Dixie Gun Works used to offer a replica of the Civil War era stadia, complete with a little cloth pouch carry case. I bought one and still have it. As far as its accuracy goes, while I didn't compare it to any modern transit or range finders, but a friend of one of my team members was showing his new $600 range finder to a group of us sitting in camp up at the National a few years back, and someone asked him to pick out an object to range. I ranged the object visually, like I learned to do in infantry basic, and my distance was within five feet of the distance he ranged with his $600 range finder!

Well, I was the cycle's top graduate and even set post record for BRM for scoring a perfect score (scoring 40 pop-up targets but with a round left over). As far as is known, that feat hasn't been matched much less broken in 30 years!
    Last edited by R. McAuley 3014V; 01-03-2013 at 11:45 PM.
    First Cousin (7 times removed) to Brigadier General Stand Watie (1806-1871), CSA
    1st Cherokee Mounted Rifles | Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation 1862-66

Region:

Region:
    Visitor
    Hello Shooters,

I am in the process of making a brass Frankford Arsenal stadia. The body is ready, it only needs the correct markings. And it is a working version.

I'll have it calibrated this week.

SC

Name:  stadia_open.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  96.6 KB