Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Measured strength of a cap

Team:
    13th Confederate Infantry
    0829V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

Measured strength of a cap

In a past life, I worked with various Primary Ignition mixes. I knew we would measure flame, and pressure waves, but I didn't pay as close attention as I should have during this time as the nerds where looking for such small blips I didn't see the value. So, I would like to know if someone in our organization has any data on how much power each cap has?

I know we all use the term "hotter caps", and I believe it is some visual thing or audible feeling.

Based on some old information I believe there is a flame value, and pressure.

Any input is welcomed.

Thanks

Charlie Hahn

Team:
    15th Connecticut Volunteer Infantry
    2078V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts

Percussion Cap Brisance

A study of the relative power or "brisance" of the various available percussion caps would be very useful. I have not seen any relative ranking for caps but I have seen some data for modern primers for shotgun and metalic centerfire cartridges. Federal and Winchester seem to enjoy a reputation for producing relatively hot primers while Remington and CCI primers are comparatively weaker, necessitating higher powder charges to achieve comparable ballistics.

Brisance may be subject to some variance by manufacturing lot, storage conditions and weather conditions at the time of use. When I first started shooting my Shiloh Sharps carbine in 1978, I used German (RWS) caps marketed by Navy Arms and had no problems. When the RWS caps began being sold in less than air-tight plastic containers I started having hang fires and misfires. Switching to the hot CCI 5-wing caps, my Sharps continued working perfectly. When those caps became unavailable I used up some old tins of Brazilian caps which also worked well. I started using the wingless RWS caps at the Spring nationals. They go bang but my Sharps scores have plummeted which I believe to be partly due to slower ignition. When I deplete my supply of wingless caps I may have to retire my Sharps and go back to my Parker Hale musketoon if no hotter caps become available.

Jim Burgess, 15th CVI

Team:
    2078V
    Region:

Percussion Cap Brisance

A study of the relative power or "brisance" of the various available percussion caps would be very useful. I have not seen any relative ranking for caps but I have seen some data for modern primers for shotgun and metalic centerfire cartridges. Federal and Winchester seem to enjoy a reputation for producing relatively hot primers while Remington and CCI primers are comparatively weaker, necessitating higher powder charges to achieve comparable ballistics.

Brisance may be subject to some variance by manufacturing lot, storage conditions and weather conditions at the time of use. When I first started shooting my Shiloh Sharps carbine in 1978, I used German (RWS) caps marketed by Navy Arms and had no problems. When the RWS caps began being sold in less than air-tight plastic containers I started having hang fires and misfires. Switching to the hot CCI 5-wing caps, my Sharps continued working perfectly. When those caps became unavailable I used up some old tins of Brazilian caps which also worked well. I started using the wingless RWS caps at the Spring nationals. They go bang but my Sharps scores have plummeted which I believe to be partly due to slower ignition. When I deplete my supply of wingless caps I may have to retire my Sharps and go back to my Parker Hale musketoon if no hotter caps become available.

Jim Burgess, 15th CVI

Team:
    0829V
    Region:
    Thank you for your reply. I was planning to make a fixture to do the testing on some practical level. I believe I need two tests, one for force where I can mock up a short section of a barrel and a cylinder and measure distance, the next would be a perforation test to do an un-pressurized test of flame. I expect the flame test would need to have one and then two right angle turns to simulate a musket bolster, and then other guns that have two turns, (Maynard & Sharps).

I read somewhere that to old marksman wanted a primer that offered a heavy flame with low pressure, (ALCAN caps did this).

With the primer supply going through some bumps right now, I want to see if there is some practical way to consider CCI magnum pistol caps on a musket with a hammer cup modification. This is planned to be one of my winter projects.

If you have any other ideas, or would like to discuss this I would welcome that chance.

Thanks

Charlie Hahn
    410-208-4736

MR. GADGET is offline Moderator
    Team:
    Rowan Artillery
    11873V
    Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina
    One of the things I did when CCI changed from 6 to 4 wing is to test the caps.
    I was talking to CCI and one of the guys that heads up the Cap line at the NRA show a few years back..
    He would not tell me that they change but kept telling me they were made the same other then 4 vs 6 wing.
    To shorten the story I ask him if he wanted to come to my place to do some testing and he said no but said he would send me a tube for free to test.
    I use a crono and a few other tests on loads..

The test that told the real difference was a very easy barrel PSI test in a way.
    I used a wood rod, and would angle the gun in a mount so the rod would move but not shoot out the end of the barrel on any caps.
    I tried several caps with the test and what I found on a clean barrel, the rod would move free every time in the bore for the test.
    The 6 wing caps on the gun in a vise would move the rod about 6-8" more then the 4 wing caps every time. Tested 4 then 6 then 4 then 6 so the gun would have the same use for every test.
    After calling the guy back and talking to him, they said that they have a way to measure PSI on a section of barrel like they do any other round, and that my rod test was in fact correct showing the primming to be better on the 6 then the 4.
    He added that if it caused a problem with the live fire guys they still have the compound mixture and could change back.
    Sales and time would tell.....

So that was what I found.
    I also found some of the German 4 wing to be lighter then the CCI 6 wing.
    Early german in the tins were hotter.
    I use the wingless now but still have some 6 wing left that I save for my sharps.
    I have enought to go a few more years then I will need to start looking and testing to see what is out there.

Just my 2 cents.

BTW, that type of test using the wood, comes from a old timers test to see if the hammer is hitting the firing pin on a gun good.
    You could stick a piece of wood in a gun like a german K98 and see if it shot it out, if it did then the spring was good to go and the FP was intact. As it was common to cut the FP on a lot of bring back war guns.
    So I said why not for a BP gun and caps.
    Use a 1/2 wood dowel ( or size to fit the gun), good to test. Drill and add weigth if needed for shorter gun. Just make a mark so it is 1/2" to 1" in front of the flash hole.
    MR. GADGET
    NRA LIFE BENEFACTOR MEMBER
    Rowan Artillery
    N-SSA National Provost Guard

Just remember!
    When a pot needs stirring, someone needs to do it...

Team:
    0829V
    Region:
    Thanks,

That is similar to what I was going to do to test pressure. I don't need a number, but a comparator which is what you have done. The next part is flame. This is an over looked part of the equation as I am always looking for a better cap for my Sharps. As you, I have several years of CCI caps. I am interested in the mag. CCI pistol caps if they don't revert back to the more active mix and a four wing configuration.

The one reference book I am working out of had a modification the shooter did to his hammer to force more down through the barrel on low pressure high flame caps. They also used a large flash hole which is different than what we do.

I have a bunch of nipples with no inside. I plan to do several things, one is an angle fire timed nipple, the other is a musket nipple to use a pistol cap, straight, and angle fire, then both with a pocket hammer and see what happens. I am avoiding an angled path for the Sharps, but may have to enter this into the mix.

I hope CCI makes all of this not necessary by make a better target cap.

Thanks again for your time and detail

Charlie

Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina
    Charlie

About 15 or so years ago, the late Charlie Dell (of schuetzen fame) got interested in the same thing only for large and small primers. He built a sort of ballistic pendulum with a sort of fan blade to "trap" the power of the flash and convert it to angular motion on the swinger... I'll try to find out what happened to it after he passed away.

Froggie
    Charlie Shaeff
    1st Valley Rangers
    N-SSA # 12345

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas

Measured Strength of Percussion Caps

In 1848 Frankford (then Bridesburg) Arsenal was given the task of developing the manufacture and testing of the percussion cap, and from then until 1976 the arsenal served as the nation’s principal developer and manufacture of small arms and artillery munitions, and except for World War II had been the sole producer of military ammunition for the United States from 1876 to 1961. So it sounds like for what you are seeking that perhaps a visit to the Rock Island Arsenal Museum may be in your near future since it appears that was where the precision instruments produced at Frankford Arsenal were sent. You may find some of the links below useful as well.

http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/habshaer/p...pa1439data.pdf

http://www.sil.si.edu/smithsoniancon.../SSHT-0011.pdf

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2007smallar...usky_520pm.pdf

http://books.google.com/books?id=vxE...museum&f=false

http://books.google.com/books?id=V54...museum&f=false
    Last edited by R. McAuley 3014V; 11-29-2012 at 07:35 PM.
    First Cousin (7 times removed) to Brigadier General Stand Watie (1806-1871), CSA
    1st Cherokee Mounted Rifles | Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation 1862-66

Team:
    1st Regiment Engineer Troops
    9813V
    Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina
    tell your friend at CCI to make the 6 wing caps again, they are the only cap that provides 100% sure fire in my sharps.

Team:
    2078V
    Region:

CCI Caps

I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in having ignition problems with my Sharps. At the 2011 NRA Convention in Pittsburgh I had the opportunity to speak with a CCI representative at the ATK booth (parent company of CCI) and expressed my dissatifaction with the discontinuance of their 5-wing caps. I learned the reason for the change to weaker 4-wing caps was a lawsuit filed by a dumb re-enactor who wasn't wearing eye protection and lost his eyesight due to a cap fragment. I was also aware the National Park Service had banned the use of 5-wing caps due to the potential for this happening in musket demonstrations. Evidently ATK considers the re-enactor/living history market to be more lucrative than competitive shooting and prefers to cater to the blank firing crowd. The gentlman I talked to, who admitted to being the engineer responsible for designing the new caps, gave me his card and encouraged me to at least try the new caps. I now have and I wasn't impressed.

Perhaps we need to start a petition to CCI urging them to resume production of hot caps. Sharps and Maynard shooters should unite in this effort. The caps need not be 5-wing which would have an increased potential to fragment. 4-wings are fine as long as they increase the brisance back the way it was. To keep their lawyers happy they would no doubt have to market them with a disclaimer that safety glasses must be worn and/or a warning that they should not be used with blanks. They would likely be more expensive than the re-enactor caps but that will probably help discourage use by re-enactors.

If you wish to directly contact the man at CCI, his name is Bret Olin (email: bret.olin@atk.com). However, the remanufacturing/marketing of hot caps will be a decision made at upper management levels and that is where we need to direct our collective voices.

Jim Burgess, 15th C.V.I.