Thread: Question about Lead for making Bullets

Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina

Question about Lead for making Bullets

Can you use "Lead Came" the lead used in making stain glass windows, for making bullets? Is it too soft? I just was offered a large quanity but want some idea first.

Thanks
    Steve
    Steve Sharpe
    2nd VA. CAV
    0236V - 10TW

Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin
    Lead caming for stained glass windows varies in hardness. The best stuff is from old church windows, but you don't want to use the joints where they were soldered. It can also be very hard. I've got two stained glass places close to my home, and they'll give me all the scraps I want for free. You really need to watch what you use though.

I decided long ago that if I was going to use scrap lead, I would invest in a hardness tester. It doesn't take long for them to pay for themselves. I like the LBT testers best.
    Gary Van Kauwenbergh
    Co G, 114th ILL Vol Inf
    # 10143

"Alle Kunst ist umsonst Wenn ein Engel in das Zündloch prunst."
    (In vain the skill and arts of man, When an angel pisses the priming pan.)
    Field Marshal Gebhard L. von Blücher

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Can you use "Lead Came" the lead used in making stain glass windows, for making bullets? Is it too soft?
    For exanding balls, there is no such thing as "too soft". Pure lead is the intended softness, any alloy is going to be harder. As was pointed out, a hardness tester is a good investment.

However, for round balls hardness may be less of an issue.

Steve

Team:
    1st Pennsylvania Cavalry
    03635V
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    Most sheet lead is soft enough for minies, but be sure it's soft before putting it in your pot. Lead pipe also works well, but be sure to cut the joints out because they are harder lead. Don't use lead from car batteries or wheel weights. As previously mentioned a hardness tester is a good idea. I've been casting since the mid 70's and learned from some old timers how to sort-out the hard from the soft. And, of course, if you cast from lead that's too hard, you'll know pretty darn quick when you see the erratic groups that hard lead produces do to insufficient base expansion. The more you deal with lead the more you will get a sense of what is soft enough for your needs.
    Mike Santarelli 03635V, Adjutant
    Member since 1979
    Co. B, 1st Pennsylvania Cavalry, #229
    National Inspector General
    Small Arms Committee

Region:
    My experience with Stained Glass lead is that it is usually too hard for minie balls. Had some asseyed and it was 3-4 % tin mixed in.

Region:
    But Southron, Sr. said he likes to add a little tin to his lead for casting minies. Does he add that much? (Three-four percent sounds like very little.)
    14th Miss Inf Rgt, CSA/N-SSA, NRA Life Mbr, no longer shooting

Region:
    Visitor
    On the BHN, Brinell, hardness scale, pure lead has a hardness of 5. A 2.5% tin to lead alloy (1:40) has a BHN of 8.5. A 3% tin to 97% lead mix (1:30) produces a BHN of 9. A 5% tin to 95% lead mix (1:20) produces a BHN of 10. A 9% tin to 91% (1:10) lead mix produces a BHN of 11.5. An alloy with a BHN of 20 is twice as hard as a bullet with a BHN of 10. So, yes, there is a big difference in the hardness of pure lead and an alloy with even 2.5% of tin. Leave the harder bullets to those with shallow rifling (mainly the long range guy's (800 - 1000 yard rifles/shooters using rifles with Rigby's, Metford's, etc. style rifling ). Use soft lead alloys in those with relatively deep rifling Enfield's, Alex Henry's, Whitworth's). Each rifle is a law unto itself when it comes to what loads it likes so what is said above is good guidance, in general, i.e., a starting place.

Tin helps the bullet to fill out better at lower temperatures than pure lead even at ratios of 1:160, i.e., less than .6%.

Pat in Virginia

PS - My souce for the above technical data is a 1979 NRA publication entitled Cast Bullets by Col. E.H. Harrison, USA (ret.), p. 78. It has had several reprintings since 1979. Lot's of good stuff in there!
    Last edited by Pat in Virginia; 10-29-2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    I never say no to any lead. If too hard for musket, it gets used in the Sharps. If too hard for the Sharps, it gets used in smokeless handgun. If too hard for handgun it gets used in smokeless rifle loads. And if you don't load for all those, someone out there does, who would trade you pure lead for your hard lead.

I recommend a Cabin Tree brand lead hardness tester.

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    Careful with the lead pipes. Sometimes they can have errant pockets of moisture in them that cant be detected.....if you drop a section in your pot and it has any water in it at all...wear protection.

Ddisher

Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin
    Good advice from David. Also, if both ends of the pipe are clamped closed from being cut, you can get an explosion from the trapped hot air. I still have splatters on my garage ceiling from that one. Luckily, I was getting the mail at the time, and was out of range of the splatter.
    Gary Van Kauwenbergh
    Co G, 114th ILL Vol Inf
    # 10143

"Alle Kunst ist umsonst Wenn ein Engel in das Zündloch prunst."
    (In vain the skill and arts of man, When an angel pisses the priming pan.)
    Field Marshal Gebhard L. von Blücher