Thread: Bought a Henry

Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina

Bought a Henry

Just ordered a 44-40 Henry iron frame. It is used but in excellent condition. I just ordered brass, mold and all the loading dies etc. Was wondering if any of you can offer me a starting powder charge. Was planning on using GoEX 3F since I have some of that. Need to know how many grains and if there is a better powder choice when I shop for next batch of powder.

Thanks

Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin
    Gary Van Kauwenbergh
    Co G, 114th ILL Vol Inf
    # 10143

"Alle Kunst ist umsonst Wenn ein Engel in das Zündloch prunst."
    (In vain the skill and arts of man, When an angel pisses the priming pan.)
    Field Marshal Gebhard L. von Blücher

Region:
    I shoot 20 grains 3f goex with 10 grains of cream of wheat as a filler. The bullet is .429 diameter 240 grains lubed with alox. I know several people that shoot 25 grains 3f goex with no filler. I tried the cartridge grade and did not see a difference in point of impact. This combination works well in my gun. I see that you are in Fredericksburg. I live in Warrenton and am willing to help you get set up if you want help.

Bobby Hannula
    First Valley Rangers
    CV Region Commander
    Bobby Hannula
    1st Valley Rangers

Team:
    Durrell's Independent Battery
    08260V
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Henry Loads

Quote Originally Posted by civilwarlife View Post
    Just ordered a 44-40 Henry iron frame. It is used but in excellent condition. I just ordered brass, mold and all the loading dies etc. Was wondering if any of you can offer me a starting powder charge. Was planning on using GoEX 3F since I have some of that. Need to know how many grains and if there is a better powder choice when I shop for next batch of powder.

Thanks

I have an iron-framed Henry too and it is very accurate. You need to shoot a .429" bullet unless slugging the bore tells you otherwise. The bullet must be cast of a soft alloy; you do not want a hard alloyed bullet as it will probably not shoot very accurately. I use reclaimed range lead for Henry bullets and it works very well. I had cast a harder alloy, but could not get the accuracy I had wanted. Softer bullets seems to work better with black powder.

I currently load 30gr. of 3F Scheutzen. I have used GOEX in the past, but it dirties up the bore pretty badly. 30gr. of Scheutzen 3F with a soft .429" bullet, Starline case, and Federal 150 primer works extremely well for me. I plan on trying Swiss powder and see what that does. I have heard shooters say that it is much cleaner burning than GOEX and a little cleaner than Scheutzen. I will know for sure very shortly.

Test for grouping off the bench on a solid rest and then make your sight adjustments after shooting from the shoulder. There will be a difference in bullet impact between the two.

Good luck. Have some fun.
    James J. Grimes
    Member, Durell's Independent Battery D
    Endowment Member of the NRA
    Member of the NMLRA

Region:

Got the Rifle

Got the rifle. Looking down the bore, the rifling seem rather shallow. Is it supposed to be? Plan to start loading next week when my mold, dies and cases arrive from Midway.

Ron/The Old Reb Guest
    When you start to reloading the 44/40's be sure that you use pistol primers and that they are seated below the rim.

Region:
    [QUOTE=civilwarlife;24916]Got the rifle. Looking down the bore, the rifling seem rather shallow. Is it supposed to be?

All of the Henrys have shallow rifling.
    Fletcher Pastore
    Cockade Rifles

Team:
    2nd U.S. Sharpshooters
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio

Load for 44 Henry

I use 30 gr 2F Swiss and it shoots great. I tried GOEX but it is really dirty when compared to Swiss. The reason I shoot 2F is that some of the folks told me 3F was too hot and would damage the bore, but there are many folks using 3F GOEX. I use the RCBS bulet mold as it seems to group better than the others I have tried. I size and lube. Make certain that your barrel is long enough. A friend bought a Henry and found that it was a shorter barrel model that could not be used for NSSA.