Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quality gunsmithing

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

Quality gunsmithing

I was given this information by someone here and told to contact him and have my Henry relined. I WISH I HAD WENT WITH HIM FROM THE BEGINNING!!!!

Richard Schoenberger

1-513-574-7342
    6080 West Fork Road
    Cincinnatti, Ohio 45247-5700

Instead, I went with the person that does most of the work for skirmish guns. When I received my Henry from the first relining job, it had to go back to have the barrel turned all the way into the receiver. I milled the nose cap myself to loosen it up to the point that it would turn. Then I tried to shoot it and noticed that it had no throat. The bullets had to jump about .250" to the lands and grooves. I just received it yesterday from having it relined again and I'm still cleaning the puke up off the floor that came from seeing the condition of my Henry.

They didn't bother to clean the excess anti-seize from the barrel/receiver joint, there's tape residue on the barrel, the rear sight is mangled and bent and the receiver was rusted, but they did take some type of abrasive and scrub some rust from the receiver, along with the case color. Needless to say, this is a great example of why we have laws against violence in this country.

If you are in need of gunsmith work do yourself a favor and use the information above until I have my shop up and going. I have only been a machinist for 8 years and would be ashamed of myself if I treated a customer like this.

Attached Images Attached Images      
    "Too many Americans grew tired of being thought to be dumb by the rest of the world, so they went to the polls and removed all doubt."

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Wow, that seems pretty poor. Glad you found someone who works out for you.

Steve

Team:
    69th New York State Volunteers
    08619V
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    Heath,
    I have been using Mr. Schoenberger for years now. He has done a dozen or so Ballards for me over the years and everything has been done to perfection. He has done relines, trigger jobs, center fire conversions, repairing broken tangs, etc. If any issues pop up, he calls and discusses my options and I have always have followed his advice. He has even talked me out of relining a Brown Ballard....... "It will shoot well"........ and he was right! He also teats each firearm as if it were his own. I have no reservations recommending him to other skirmishers. He does only ship via USPS Priority Mail so you have to figure on $35. to $50. return shipping. After he has done his work the arms are packed right.... no barrels, hammers or tangs sticking out through the box.
    Jack Conway
    69th NY

Team:
    Durrell's Independent Battery
    08260V
    Region:

Hanry Work

Could you PM me with the name of the person to avoid. I will be needing some Henry work in the future and don't want to go wrong. I will check on your recommendation as well.

Thanks,
    James
    James J. Grimes
    Member, Durell's Independent Battery D
    Endowment Member of the NRA
    Member of the NMLRA

Team:
    69th New York State Volunteers
    08619V
    Region:

New phone & address for Richard Schoenberger

I just got off the phone with Richard. He has just moved to Indiana and has a new telephone number and address. I was fortunate to catch him at the old number while he was cleaning out his shop.

New Information:
    8984 E County Rd 1600 N
    Sunman, In 47041
    Tel. # 812-623-4881

He says that you must copy the address EXACTLY. He has had packages returned to sender that were addressed 8984 East instead of 8984 E or 1600 North instead of 1600 N.
    Jack Conway
    69th NY

Region:
    Thanks, Jack. I will copy this address and store it for future use. Hopefully I won't need it in the near future.
    "Too many Americans grew tired of being thought to be dumb by the rest of the world, so they went to the polls and removed all doubt."

Team:
    24th Georgia Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina

I am not making this up,,,,

There was a gunshop not too far from where I live. I dropped by one day and got into a conversation with the "Gunsmith" that worked in the shop.

As the Muzzleloading Deer Season was starting the following day, I asked the "Gunsmith" if he intended to hunt in it. He replied "Yes."

I asked him what he was planning on using. He said: "I have my rifle here...Do you want to see it?" Well, he disappeared into the back room and then re-appeared with a replica Shiloh Sharps 1859 New Model Military Rifle.

When I saw the rifle, I commented: "That is NOT a muzzleloader!"

With a smug smile on his face the "Gunsmith" replied: "Oh Yes!" "It is a muzzleloader now!"

He showed me that the trigger guard lever was frozen in place.

From a short distance the rifle looked to be in "Mint" condition, however a closer examination revealed that the breech block was frozen in the breech with a coating of heavy red rust!

Yup, the "Gunsmith" had purchased that rifle new from Shiloh then carried it out shooting and never bothered to clean it!

Hence, thanks to rust, his very expensive breech loader had magically become a muzzleloader.

WHAT AN IDIOT!!!!

I would have loved to know what a Game Warden would have done IF he had caught that idiot in the woods hunting deer with that Sharps during Muzzleloading Deer Season..

Mercifully, that gunshop has now closed. I don't know what happened to that "Gunsmith."

Region:

Ditto Jack Conway!

Jacks 100 percent correct re Rich.

At the end of this skirmish season I was put in touch with him thru a fellow skirmisher. I’ve had long standing issues with my Ballard Carbine, and was able to find someone who knew what they were doing!

In short, he’s upfront, charges a flat hourly rate, extremely personable and professional, competent and TIMELY! In addition, he won’t do work just to charge the customer. If something isn’t wrong, he’ll be frank and give you an honest assessment of what’s really needed to fix your arm.

I had my piece back, completely repaired and ready to go when he told me he’d have her done. Rich takes great pride in what he does, and he does it VERY well.

Final note - he’s only reachable via telephone (no website, no email) but he can be contacted easily enough.

You, or anyone for that matter, wont be disappointed! I’ll certainly be a repeat customer when the time comes.
    Semper Fi,
    Rob Freeman
    Col, USMC (Ret.)
    1987-2019

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor. - Vince Lombardi

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    This thread is 6 years old.

Steve

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    The thread may be old, but Col. Freeman's experience is timely.