Thread: Wts original 1842 springfield smooth bore musket..dated 1850

Region:
    None

Wts original 1842 springfield smooth bore musket..dated 1850

I’m needing to thin out my collection a bit and I’ve decided to sell my 1850 dated, 1842 Springfield musket. It’s in working order and I have shot it maybe a half dozen or so times (light loads). I have not messed with it other than a light coat of oil. It’s Just like I got it except for it was missing the middle barrel band and spring. I picked up an original band off the internet and I got the spring from someone on here. Ill upload some more pics if anybody is interested. I think it may be a Confederate musket. No guarantees but from what I’ve read about CSA weapons, the names carved into the stock seems to fit the standard description of a confed weapon. It also has CSA on one side of the stock (see pics). They are maybe 1/2 inch letters. I’ve had several people look at it and I took it to some of the military shows around here and nobody could tell me either way if they thought the CSA was original. One dealer stated: "It looks old but even it it was done in 1902, it would look old". I plan on putting it up on GUNBROKER but I thought I would give you guys first crack at it. I am asking $900 plus shipping and insurance. Also, if you have any insight on this Musket, I would love to hear from ya, please post your thoughts about the musket, the carved names, markings, condition, etc, etc.. If you would like to see more pics, let me know. I plan on uploading at least 1 or 2 more pics of the entire rifle in a day or so. Thanks for looking!
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by armystuff; 07-09-2012 at 03:40 PM. Reason: title keeps saying 1942 for some reasion..Its 1842!

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    I can post no educated thoughts other than to say, what a piece of history!

Region:
    None
    ive had a couple of request for more pics so here you go:

http://armystuff.org/M1842/

There are a bunch of them and they are pretty big so depending on your connection, they may take a while to view. If you find they are too big, let me know and Ill reduce the size. Also, I threw in a couple of vids a buddy of mine took of me shooting it. Im not wanting to hide anything so I took close up pics of about everything I could think of. The pictures make it look rough but in person, it really doesnt look that bad. It really needs to be cleaned and also a coat of finish on the stock. That would make it look 100% better..but I like them original so I didnt touch the stock at all and left it as found. The new owner can make that decision.
    let me know if you need any more pics or anything.
    Thanks
    Last edited by armystuff; 07-11-2012 at 09:29 AM.

Region:
    None
    I still have this 1842 musket for sale..It will be listed on Gunbroker in 1 or 2 weeks if it doesnt sell here.

I also have an 1800's British .577 Enfield with the Snyder conversion. Its been shortened, modifed and has Arabic writing on the barrel but its in pretty good, functional shape and comes with original wooden barrel plug. Pictures on request. Asking $475. Thanks

Region:
    None
    It will go up on gunbroker monday..fyi