Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sharpshooter event (for us to old to hold a musket without a rest)

Team:
    1st US Artillery K Battery
    4920V (50th year vet)
    Region:
    Northeast- New York

Sharpshooter event (for us to old to hold a musket without a rest)

For what it is worth I would like to see if there is any interested in a Sharpshooter event. Many of us still enjoy shooting blackpowder Civil War Musktets, but do to age, etc. would enjoy being able to shoot our trusting weapons using a rest. I realize there is no time for any new events at the Nationals to add another event, but was wondering if there was any interest in a "bench rest" style event. This is not to be confused with the Long Range shooting, but a "sharpshooter event" where we would be allow to use a rest (Cross stickes).. The events would be at 50 yd and 100 yd ranges. The event would keep older and handicap shooter interested in N-SSA programs, but allow the use of a rest.
    Just a thought to keep our older members active and maybe attract new members as well. You would still have to belong to a unit and be a member of the Association, but have an event for many of us who are reaching the age where our body does not work as well as it did 25 years ago. It would be historicaly correct as sharpshooters were used with great effect on both sides.
    Yes, many questions would have to be defined, but if we could keep it simple, (muzzle-loaders only) I have a feeling there is interest in the association to have such an event. We need to attract new members as well as retain the interest of our older members. Income is income and if the N-SSA could created more interest, so be it. For the good of the N-SSA and for the enjoyment of the membership.
    "Using the Past to Promote the Future"

Team:
    110th Ohio Voluneer Infantry
    11444V
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    If it's a Sharpshooter event, why shoot at 50 yds? How about shooting the 50 yd Musket target at 100. Why limit it to muzzleloaders. Why not let anything we shoot in team events shoot? Just a thought.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Strength is not the only problem we older folks face. Eyesight is another serious problem, so the younger folks would still have an edge.
    14th Miss Inf Rgt, CSA/N-SSA, NRA Life Mbr, no longer shooting

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Ken - No problem with the youngsters.....you will just have to prove you're a minimum of 65 years old to participate!

JDH

Team:
    4920V (50th year vet)
    Region:
    Northeast- New York

Sharpsshooter Event

I suggested to limit the type of weapons to muzzle-loaders to keep the event within the scope of N-SSA rules. Same for the distances (50 & 100 yd event). There are other places to fire cartridge weapons. However, if there was the interested in added different classifactions..that is good. I don't want to organize another division within the N-SSA. Just was thinking of trying to keep some of our older members shooting and enjoying the fellowship at the Fort.

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Bob -

Breechloading Rifles & Class 2 Carbines are within the scope of the N-SSA's rules.

JDH

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    I think this is a GREAT idea --- favor it for an individual event. I would like to see it unrestricted in terms of all approved N-SSA firearms and approved sights. I think we would enter the 100XXX arena which would add a lot of fun (six bull target at 50 yds?). Don't forget that Berdan specified Sharps rifles for his men. Cross sticks only -- put it out on the far right of the line.
    I much prefer this to practice targets. Practice at home.

Team:
    4920V (50th year vet)
    Region:
    Northeast- New York

Sharpershoot Class

This is great! Keep the ideas flowing. Maybe after the dust settles we can put our ideas on paper and at somepoint present a solid plain before the board at some point. I have no problems with Single Shot classes and Carbine II firearms being used. I kind of wanted to keep the 45-70's etc. out of the mixt . Following the rules, any weapon made before April 1865 would be allowed. (This would enclude the sights as well).

Team:
    Division of Marines-CSS Virginia
    9128v
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    keeping the senior shooters in the game is something that often gets overlooked. if you did this you would have to think about a number of things. the same people who may have trouble shooting offhand will most likely have trouble with siting cross sticks. siting down shooting isnt as easy as it may look. standing sticks may be the way to go. or you could have a portable bench set up on the far end of the line and make it a bench match. as for targets. they would have to be large enough to be seen. but score hard enough so that the match isnt to easy for the shooter or to hard on the scorers. at friendship we shot the 100yd bull at 50 and 100yds. these targets score the same as the 50 yd musket target. they just have one more ring black at 50 yds and two more rings black at 100yds to make them easier to see. as for line space just one position would most likely handle the number of people shooting the match in the begining.

hp

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Got to thinking about this --- rather than setting up those ugly shooting benches offhand shooters all hate, how about building some shooting positions using large boulders, fake boulders or what-not, and set up sharpshooter positions that look just like the real ones that were found at Devils Den, Little Round Top, etc.. We could build comfortable sitting/shooting positions within each to accomodate anyone with physical limitations. They could be made to look really cool and might become a great PR draw. Just a thought.