Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What minie ball and where do i get them?

Region:
    Allegheny - Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia

What minie ball and where do i get them?

I just bought a 1861 springfield, 58 cal. Armi Sport. What minie ball should i get for these and where do you buy them. Also if i buy a mold, do i need to size these after they come out of the mold thanks.

Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina
    You first need to determine your bore size. They vary.
    Fletcher Pastore
    Cockade Rifles

Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    As was stated, you should measure the bore diameter of your barrel to determine what size bullet and/or mold you need to buy. It is usually preferred that you do size your rounds to ensure that they are all identical. This removes one variable from the accuracy equation.

As to "How" to measure your bore diameter, I'll let others more familiar with techniques answer that.

Same thing on mold size verses measured size at it has been so long since I changed muskets, that I can't recall.

Good Luck!!

-Mike
    Mike 'Bootsie' Bodner
    Palmetto Sharpshooter's, Commander
    9996V

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Conventional wisdom says to size the Minies 1 to 2 thousandths of an inch below the bore size. I'm not sure of my bore size, but I have a set of many sizers in increments of 1 thousandth. I sized some bullets and I chose the largest size that fits into my muzzle and slides down a CLEAN barrel. In my case, this happens to be.576.
    14th Miss Inf Rgt, CSA/N-SSA, NRA Life Mbr, no longer shooting

Region:
    Long Bill
    If you were to give your location in WV you might get a response for face to face help. Skirmishers are the most accomodating shooters you'll ever meet. Two identical new in the box muskets from the same manufacturer may require different size bullets due to rifling cutter wear, the number of vino breaks the Italians take, etc. The issue with buying bullets is that they generally come in a plastic bag and the thumping and bumping they take in storage and shipping is not conducive for a good round base of the bullet. Most muskets use bullets in the .585-.580 range. As previously stated you need a bullet within .001-.002 of the actual bore size for best performance. Our team has a set of bore gauges and would be glad to help. Powder charges can range generally from 35 to 50 grains of 3F.

Note: I'm not trying to start anything on this BB with 3F versus 2F.

If you don't get a response for face to face help and are reasonably close to Winchester come to one of our shoots. There's one next weekend and July 6-8. Bring your musket and ask for help. See our web page N-SSA.org for directions and shoot schedules.
    Paul Lampman, 00263V
    Cockade Rifles

Team:
    4th North Carolina, Iredell Blues
    11046v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina

correction

I believe Paul meant .575 to .580
    "Forgetfulness is injustice; remembrance is a sacred duty".

Region:
    Right, my fingers don't work as quick as my brain. Or is it the other way around?
    Paul Lampman, 00263V
    Cockade Rifles

Region:
    Allegheny - Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia
    Thanks guys. I am in New Martinsville which is at the base of the Northern Pan handle. I have done some reading about slugging the bore. It souns like a pretty straight forward job. I was wondering if anyone here molds their bullets at .575 and does not resize them. I was considering buying the Lee mold from Cabelas. I know i need to check size first. If anyone is close, say within an hour or so i would be happy to drive and meet them to get some help. Thanks

Region:
    If you don't get any responses you're welcome to come during the July 6-8 shoot. I'll be there and we can check it out. If you want to stay over we can provide a bunk in our bunk house and even feed you. It looks like you're within a couple of hours of our range. You're sure to enjoy watching the team matches.
    Paul Lampman, 00263V
    Cockade Rifles

Region:
    Paul & Bill,

July shoot date is not correct, McNiels Rangers shoot is July 13-15, it is posted wrong on BB under skirmish schedule but correct under N-SSA activities on homepage.

just don't want you showing up when nobody is around, wouldn't help you too much then.

as far as location Allegheny region has a few folks in that area, quite a few north of you towards Pitt.

thx
    craig