Thread: Whitworth Rifle

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    na
    Region:
    Visitor

Whitworth Rifle

Anyone know of a good reproduction Whitworth Rifle true to the original,I would really like to get my hands on one and test its atributes on long range targets.

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    there aren't any currently made with the closing of euroarms. however. dixie gunworks still has some of the euroarms whitworths in stock. they are exactly the same as the parker hale listed ones save yourself the extra money and get the dixie whitworth. now, i have shot and competed with the euroarms whitworth for several years now, they are very good shooting guns, but they need proper long range sights and a platinum lined nipple to perfrom at their best, also the breech will probably need to be bedded since on most of them like their parker-hale cousins. the barrel channel is milled too deep and the bolster rests hard on the lock plate which causes diagonal stringing.

this verison is military 3banded which is not a copy of the military whitworth which was a two banded and had an almost snub nosed appearance, also the actual military whitworths did not have brass buttplats or trigger guards.

don't bother with shooting hex bullets, no one makes a very good hex mold and a swaging die for a hex bullet is way too expensive. I've shot cylindrical bullets with the exact same accuracy, just like the rebel sharpshooters did. the rifle is designed to shoot paper patched bullets, whitworth rifleing generaly does not like a grease groove bullet. also, whitworths are very sensitive to cleaning regimen. simply put, take a .50cal jag and file it hex so you can clean into the corners. 1 wet patch followed by 2 dry patches, 5 strokes with each, then reload. your bullets unpatched should be .440 -.442 depending on your rifle, mine prefers the .442 patched up to .450. for long range shooting the minimum bullet weight for .45 should be 500grn and your MV around 1300fps. most of us shoot swiss 1.5F or swiss 2F. i also use a 3/8" thick felt wad under the bullet.

they are very good shooting guns and long range shooting is a pure pleasure and a wonderful game! most long range matches are 800, 900, and 1,000 yrds.

Team:
    13th Confederate Infantry
    0829V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    I have a similar gun with Sir Henry rifling on a three band volunteer gun, xxx s/n, .451 caliber unfired lightly handled, $900

Charlie Hahn
    410-208-4736

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    I sure wish I had not seen this thread. I had a Whitworth and a Volunteer, and when you get them sorted out with a good bullet, the platinum nipple and good sights, they are charming firearms!

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas

Exclamation

"this verison is military 3banded which is not a copy of the military whitworth which was a two banded and had an almost snub nosed appearance, also the actual military whitworths did not have brass buttplats or trigger guards."

Not to sound argumentative, but there is a 3-bander Whitworth that is ID'ed to a North Carolina sharpshooter in the Wray gun collection at the Atlanta History Center. 3-banders were used by at least one military, well, at least when the Confeds could spring for a "Best Quality" one. No scope, but stamped with that on it. It's even still got the case and accessories. There are quite a few in it. Neither of the 3-banders have scopes. This is one of those weapons that we'll never know for sure all the details surrounding Sir Joseph's rifles legacy during the Civil War because we are just too far removed.

The 3-bander repop is pretty close to the "Best Quality" one, but of course, like all our modern repros, a little work will make it better if one is concerned with defarbing.