Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Practice Target sales at a National Skirmish proposal

Team:
    149th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry
    09575v
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Practice Target sales at a National Skirmish proposal

I was hoping to get some feedback on a proposal that I was going to put in the August Board Meeting. It involves selling practice targets at the Nationals.

Targets would be:

• Printed on a different color paper
    • Sold for $2 per
      1. (two “bulls-eye” target)
      2. (one “bulls-eye” and one side tile, pot targets)

• Unlimited re-entries
    • No association with the stat-house
    • Purchased from skirmish staff appointed on the far right side of the line
    • Targets be hung by the skirmisher
    • Targets would be removed by the staff
    • Would only be good for one twenty minute relay only
    • Must only be shot with one classification of firearm only
    • Cannot be shot two relays
    • Targets can be shot, before, during or after shooting your National Qualifying Targets
    • Revolver would be given only 20 minutes, instead of 30 minutes
    • Benches would be provided for Revolver Shooters
    • Range could be utilized from positions 50-67 for practice

What I am looking:
    1. Feedback on this idea
    2. How many would shoot these targets if you were able to?
    3. Please keep it appropriate to the topic and on point

Thanks for all of your help
    Joe Plakis XXVIII
    Middle-Atlantic Region
    SAC
    9575V

"Great leadership does not mean running away from reality. Sometimes the hard truths might just demoralize the company, but at other times sharing difficulties can inspire people to take action that will make the situation better." John Kotter

Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina
    I Think it is a great idea. During the week I'm sure I would shoot at least 5 targets and wouldn't mind even if we did have to shoot our National targets first.

Don
    Last edited by Don Branch 12592; 06-04-2012 at 10:25 PM.

Team:
    149th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Personally I am not in favor. I appreciate the attempt to provide a source of additional income but I believe it detracts from the accomplishments of all those that came before. From striker on up everyone had the one target, one chance with each firearm at each distance. We already get unlimited sighters. If one can't determine where to aim by then, practice some other time.

Respectively
    Eric Fritz
    When in doubt, mumble, when in trouble, delegate.

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Targets can be shot, before, during or after shooting your National Qualifying Targets

This seems to go against the 60 year principle of one skirmisher, one target. If memory serves, the recent postings all complain of overcrowding and rude behavior with respect to Nationals. This would add to the angst of the situation. If someone is waiting to shoot their only official targets, cold, while you practice for your official attempt, jaws will get tight. I would have to say that I cannot support the idea.
    Lou Lou Lou Ruggiero
    Tammany Regt-42nd NYVI

Team:
    Division of Marines-CSS Virginia
    9128v
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    boy thats an idea i never thought i would hear. it sure sounds good if it would work. however i doubt that it would. at friendship there are lots of daily matches and lots of chances to shoot practice targets if you desire to do so. they can do that because that match is 8 days long. the nssa national individuals they are only 2 1/2 days long. if you shoot all the differant matches you have to fire 100 scoring shots. thats a lot of shooting. the nssa matches have always been shot military style where you dont have time to mess with your gear. you walk to the line and shoot your 10 shots plus sighters and move on. i think thats a good system for the type of shooting we do.

hp gregory
    Last edited by hp gregory; 06-05-2012 at 02:55 PM.

Team:
    1st Pennsylvania Cavalry
    03635V
    Region:
    This is an interesting thought. I understand all of the points that Joe raised in his proposal, but I personally believe that it would cause too much confusion and/or distraction to the individual matches. The standing rule of one target per match was obviously designed to create a "level" playing field for all shooters in all classifications. I know when I shoot my individuals if I do well, then I know my practice sessions at my home range were productive...when I have a sub-par performance then I know that more range time is needed. Shooting is similar, in some ways, to other sports, "some days you're on and somedays you're not".
    Mike Santarelli 03635V, Adjutant
    Member since 1979
    Co. B, 1st Pennsylvania Cavalry, #229
    National Inspector General
    Small Arms Committee

Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina

practice targets

Let's just sell medals. Then we could free up everything so that we can shoot and enjoy ourselves.
    Last edited by YOU DON'T KNOW ?; 06-05-2012 at 09:33 AM.

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Twice a year we have a National Match held in Winchester, Virginia, where the playing field is kept level by everyone shooting their targets cold. I am of the opinion that it should be kept that way forevermore.

Now, with that having been said, I do believe it has great potential for Regional skirmishes to adopt. My Region, the North-East, currently has 12 member Units, totaling 194 individual members. At our regional skirmishes individual match participation has been on a general decline for the past five years. My Unit, the 44th New York hosts a Regional skirmish every year, with the one for this year having been this past weekend. The Individial Match competitors numbered 37, a welcome increase over the 29 we had last year. I'm really glad we chose to embrace the 5 man musket team concept because we had 15 musket team entries. If you do the math that's still only 75 people participating out of 194 possible. So, if a Region sets up a novel Individual Match where the Competitors can shoot at paper versions of breakable targets perhaps that could increase the number of individual entries. My thanks to Joe Plakis for the idea!

John Holland
    44th New York
    Board of Director

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas

Individual Practice targets at Nationals

There are a lot of great ideas and comments in the previous posts. Here is another idea for consideration. Realizing that skirmish staffs are limited, it might not be doable, but at least it is a thought. The old WSSA used to rent the range across the road from our entrance to run their skirmishs. Would it be feasible for the association to do so in the future, depending on cost, to either have a place for skirmishers to buy and shoot practice targets away from the main range, thus not tying up vauluable positions there, OR, possibly rent it and extend individual range time on Friday and Saturday so that those who cannot get to the Fort earlier have an opportunity to compete. I know it is hard for students to miss school to get to Winchester earlier in the week, without taking a hit at school. This also could boost individual target sales for the Association.

Ian Wright, 1942V

37th GA

Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina

I have to agree with HP Gregory

The National matches are no place to shoot unlimited practice targets; we are there to compete....we added classes some years ago because not everyone wanted to compete on a "straight up" basis like we did when I started.

And, there is just too much going on to manage unlimited individuals (from my experience in the stat shack...it would truly be a nightmare).

Keep individuals as they are at the Nationals out of defference to those who went before...and each of us takes our place in the environment as we find it....unless we can use an alternate range (at the entry road) to hold individuals separately?
    Frank ( MIKE) Hale, 0063V
    First Richmond Rifles, 003CV