Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Single shot or repeater poll

Team:
    Division of Marines-CSS Virginia
    9128v
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

Single shot or repeater poll

i asked if it would be ok to get some ideas on this subject.
    single shot and repeater are the only team events that are combined at the nationals. i know a lot of folks have to make a hard choice and choose one or the other. i know there are a lot of you who would like to do both. it seems repeater is shrinking and single shot is growing however very slowly. i have to wonder if they were stand alone events if it would help both of them grow. so the poll question is this;

IF THERE WAS A WAY TO SEPERATE SINGLE SHOT AND REPEATER TO STAND ALONE EVENTS WOULD YOU BE WILLING TO SUPPORT BOTH.

please stay on point and give an honest answer to the above question.

hp gregory
    17th va inf
    Last edited by hp gregory; 05-24-2012 at 09:46 AM.

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    na
    Region:
    Visitor

Henry and the Single Shot

HP,
    I agree. It would be great to do both.
    W. Clark

Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina
    I would like to give single shot a try.
    Fletcher Pastore
    Cockade Rifles

Team:
    8th Regiment Virginia Volunteers
    10395V
    Region:

Single Shot or Repeater

I think that the NSSA is trying to please everyone by cramming too many different events into five days. They have ruined carbine by eliminating phase 2 to pick up 1/2 hour and they are making shooters pick between single shot and repeater. Choices need to be made. All we have succeeded in doing so far is to reduce the quality of some of the events by squeezing the schedule.

Team:
    9128v
    Region:
    jim i wonder if you could explain how carbine has been ruined. its shot the same as musket. 3 relays. i would have to ask if you shoot single shot or repeater. if you dont now or dont plan to in the future i dont see how it would affect you. hp

Team:
    149th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    Since giving up repeater team shooting for single shot, I will never return. Having had a potentially devastating accident with my Henry years ago convinced me that the Henry in its current configuration is an unsafe firearm for a rattle battle event. I've been told that in 1866 the Henry was modified with the safety, meaning the firearm cannot go off until the lever is fully retracted. As a single shot firearm the Henry is probably the best cartridge shooting firearm on the line today.

As for the single shot team shooting, slow growth will continue as long as the availability of reproductions is minimal. As far as I know the only repro being produced is the Sharps rifle. All others are converted originals and are becoming rarer. The cost to purchase an original and convert it is prohibitive for many. If in the future repros become available I would expect the interest to swing favorably to seperate the two team events.

I know the moderen day Ballard Firearms Co. has been contacted by several members of the N-SSA and prodded on the subject of producing the Civil War version of the Ballard rifles and carbine but they have shown no interest. I suspect the cost to retool the production set up is too costly even for them.

In conclusion, the lack of single shot firearm availability (thus the lack of team expansion) and a time slot are the two biggest hurdles of having two different team events. But I am in favor of the two someday being seperated. I would also be in favor of starting on Tuesday. Now there's something to chew on.
    When in doubt, mumble, when in trouble, delegate.

Team:
    8th Regiment Virginia Volunteers
    10395V
    Region:

Single Shot

HP,

Lots of us have discussed this and prefer two 2 hour carbine phases over a single 3 1/2 hour carbine phase. I think that you have touched on a bigger issue which is why I posted. I won't post again on this thread.

Region:

I'd be willing to try it.........

I think if there is any way feasable to try it I'm for it. It would likely increase participation in both events which would be a net gain whats wrong with that.
    As for carbine it is a non issue........part of the reasoning behind going to a single phase was to eliminate the whining of one phase possibly having a weather
    or condition advantage. I think someday musket will be one phase as well......... As for the topic at hand YES I'm for at least looking into it......As for Ballard ?
    Forget it !!! Ballard Rifle Comp in it's curent state is in my backyard and they have less than zero interest in the civil war era Ballards. They are focused on high end
    large bore hunting rifles for Africa and what not........... There are several other single shots suitable that have just not been as popular......... In todays manufacturing world
    ANY mass produced American made weapon would be expensive.......

rachbobo is offline Banned
    Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    Region:
    Allegheny - Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia
    Count me in also. A few months back I finished building an 1819 Hall rifle in original flint and I'm working on a second one in percussion.

Bill Cheek
    Cockade Rifles

Team:
    9128v
    Region:
    the idea behind this is to see if there is enough interest to ask that the two events stand on their own. one way to do this is to hold single shot on the far right end of the range after repeater. this would allow mortar to begin setting up on the firing line. after the 100 yd event and you move back to 50 you have two backers to work with. so all of the 50 yd targets can be hung at once. once all the SS targets have been finished the mortar crews can go to 100yds to place their target post and the single shot crews can clean up. due to the way the single shot targets are hung and the speed of the events i think things would move along very quickly. im sure there are other ways to get this done but at present i am looking for people who are interested enough to speak up and say they would support both single shot and repeater. thats the first step before we go begging.

hp
    Last edited by hp gregory; 05-24-2012 at 03:10 PM.