Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Civil War Reading

Region:
    None

Civil War Reading

I can't figure out where to put this. The Fort thread does not seem to have too many posts or readers so here goes and sorry that nothing in this posting goes "bang" . I started reading books on the Civil War (yes, I am a Yankee) back in the 1950's when I was a high school student. I majored in history and after 43 years in the classroom and many years re-enacting am now retired, which gives me a lot of time to to read up on the War Between the States (I am not completely dense). My first books were those of Bruce Catton whose works started me on my historical journey. I read everything he wrote on that subject and I found him to be inspiring. I was surprised to learn later that he was not well respected by the academic community and was treated to academic condescension by history professors whose graduate theses and dissertations made as interesting reading as phone books. I have read good writing by Shelby Foote, Wiley, Freeman, McPherson and many more et ceteras but recently I have re-read Catton's works and you know something, I think Catton has been the best of all and since I no longer do re-enactments and my wife does not want to hear another blessed thing about that or any war and my students are long gone I felt I had to tell this to somebody and you guys are the somebody. Also there's the off chance that Bruce Catton, in that great cantonment in the sky, might be reading these posts too so, if you are, Mr. Catton, thanks for being the most inspiring author to have ever written on this subject. If anyone could resurrect the shades of "these honored dead" and bring them back to life it was, and still remains, you.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    And don't leave out the good historical novelists--Shelby Foote (again) and Michael Shaara come to mind.
    14th Miss Inf Rgt, CSA/N-SSA, NRA Life Mbr, no longer shooting

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Bruce Catton was also the writer who sent me on my trek through the history of those bloody years 1861-1865, with "Never Call Retreat". I reread his works even today and enjoy them even more than the first reading.

May I suggest books by, Stephen W. Sears, (he reads a lot like Catton). For the battle of Gettysburg in particular, (in fine detail of Gettysburg) try Harry Phanz, but I would suggest Sears work first as it gives a greater overall view of the events where Phanz gets into fine, almost microscopic detail. Greg Coco is also a favorite author on Gettysburg and it's aftermath.

Ron/The Old Reb Guest
    Old Hickory

May I suggest the book Diary of a Dead Man. written by Ira S. Pettit
    It is his account of his daily life as a soldier from the time he enlisted until he died in Andersonvill prison. It is available in paperback. There is also a 28 volume set of books called the Civil War published by Time Life Books in 1984 that are very good.
    Last edited by Ron/The Old Reb; 05-10-2012 at 08:29 AM.

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron/McGregor's View Post
    Old Hickory

May I suggest the book Diary of a Dead Man. written by Ira S. Pettit
    It is his account of his daily life as a soldier from the time he enlisted until he died in Andersonvill prison. It is available in paperback. There is also a 28 volume set of books called the Civil War published by Time Life Books in 1984 that are very good.
    Ron, I have the Time Life series and I agree, they're very good and well illistrated. As you can probably guess, I'm a student of Gettysgurg, I read just about everything I can lay my hands on dealing with the battle and it's aftermath. In particular, human interest stories from those who were there and what became of them afterwards, from where they're buried, hospitals and the care of the wounded, to the Confederate stragglers who simply melted into the local population and lived out new lives in Pennsylvania.

"The Illistrated Confederate Reader" by Gregg is another fine book, full of, (sometimes amusing) stories from soldiers, civillians, and even slaves from the South. I intend on reading, "Co. Aiche" someday when time permits, stories from the bottom are always very good reading. I'll look into, "Diary Of A Dead Man" it sounds like the kind of read I would like. So much understanding can be gained from these men who endured the war as enlisted men. Even the dogs who went to war as mascotts are of interest to me, such as the beloved, Sallie of the 11th Pa who died beside her friends at Hatcher's Run near the end of the war and is at rest on the battlefield. The boys of the 11th thought for sure they had lost their gallant, "Sall" at Gettysburg, only to find her after the battle gaurding the bodies of her fallen friends where they lay on the first days field, hungey and severly dehydrated, she remained loyal to her friends. It is alltogether fitting and proper that Sallie graces the base of the 11th's memorial on Oak Ridge. I got a soft spot for dogs too.

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    an excellent memoir is Edward Porter Alexander. "Fighting for the Confederacy" is an excellent read. what makes the book so special is that alexander never intended it to be published, he wrote it for his daughters. because of this he is quite frank about details and experiences that are not seen in other 19th century memoirs due to the modesty of the time. also, being an artillerist has had access to most of the upper commanders of the army of northern virginia and is very frank in his opinions and assesments of the commanders. i can't reccomend this book highly enough. he is also extremely detailed about gettysburg too.

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    There is also quite a number of pre-1900 books available for free on the Internet for .pdf download, the includes quite a few personal accounts.

Damon

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    The best Civil War study I've encountered in the last dozen years is "For Cause & For Country" by Eric Jacobson and Richard Rupp. The book deals with Hood's final campaign in Tennessee where at Spring Hill, and more significantly Franklin, the Texan effectively destroyed his own command, the Confederate Army of Tennessee. The research for this book is something else. Never have I seen authors get so "down in the weeds," providing battle detail unmatched by any secondary author I've ever encountered. As the saying goes, "you will smell the burnt powder." Henry folks will be especially interested in the experience of the 65th Indiana and 65th Illinois, both equiped with Henrys and posted side by side in the center of the Franklin defensive line. From there they helped shred Cleburne and Walthall's Divisions.
    The fact that the authors used my book, "From the Flame of Battle to the Fiery Cross," as one of their sources didn't affect my opinion at all (shameless plug).

Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    A very different view of the early years of the war can be found in L'il Mac's autobiography, McClellans Own Story. While all of the pertinent facts and dates are correct, it reads like an entirely different war than Catton's or Foote's

Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio

War talks

War talks of Confederate Vets is a great one too. 1st hand accounts of Cramptons Gap and Petersburg/Crater. Might be out of print though...