Thread: Romano Maynard chamber questions...

Team:
    73rd New York Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts

Romano Maynard chamber questions...

Need some advice from you fellows who shoot a Romano type 1 Maynard. I recently got one (though second-hand). I shot cartridges made with brand-new brass, and found that the mouth of the fired brass had expanded noticeably. Reloading these cartridges, without any sizing, with my .515 bullets results in rather loose bullets. If it weren't for the stickiness of the lube, they would fall right out.

Has anyone else found their Maynard to have an "oversized" chamber? Is it of any concern?
    When you reload for your Maynard, do you resize the brass for a snug bullet fit, or just leave them loose?
    Glenn M. Kaye

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    How does it shoot the bullet you're using? If you really like the bullet, with tight groups, you can buy or make a sizing die to sqeeze the case back down to its original diameter. Or --- you can do what I do (prepare to shudder), let some corrosion build up on the inside of the case to provide more grip on the bullet.
    If it is not shooting accurately, try out some other bullets/loads until you're getting those really tight groups. If you've increased the diameter of the bullet in the process your problem is likely solved. Otherwise see above.
    By the way, use LOTS of lube.

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    Sounds like you should contact Mr. Romano. I realize the weapon is second hand, but it may be someting that he would like to address. Give him a shot at it.

Failing that, you could always follow Egg's advice.
    Lou Lou Lou Ruggiero
    Tammany Regt-42nd NYVI

Team:
    Region:
    It shot accurately with the bullet I am using, in the new brass, but I have not yet had a chance to try it again with the fireformed brass.
    I guess if it still shoots accurately, then the point is moot, though I feel like the ammo is a bit fragile with the bullets so loose.
    Glenn M. Kaye

Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina
    I'm shooting an early (2 digit) Romano First Model and am using a little bit bigger bullet... I can't remember the exact diameter, but I think it is at least .516 or more as it drops from the mould. I simply pan lube and load without sizing them. If the brass grows too much for the seating die to bring it back into a size to go into the chamber, I "bump" it with a Lyman 50-70 sizing die (with decap stem removed.)

HTH ~ Froggie
    Charlie Shaeff
    1st Valley Rangers
    N-SSA # 12345

Team:
    8th Regiment Virginia Volunteers
    10395V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

Romano Maynard

I would recommend that you use bullets sized .517". While the gun will shoot .515" bullets, there is nothing wrong with using a .517" bullet as I think that it will actually shoot better. I would also recommend that you use soft lead, if you aren't already. I would have a hard time using any bullet sized over .515" in my reduced capacity cases. My First Model Maynard has a chamber that is actually a little tight (only about .001"). Larry says that the chamber reamer wears over time and there is some variation due to this.

Team:
    Division of Marines-CSS Virginia
    9128v
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    the very early romano maynards had chambers that were a little oversize. in fact some were large enough that the reduced capacity brass would crack on the ends due to stretching at the step in the case. the next batch of barrels went to the other extreme and had very tight chambers. you can have someone take a piloted cutter ream the chamber oversize and install a sleeve to bring it back to standard specs. or you can just use full capacity brass which will expand without cracking as bad. if you shoot a lighter load you will need to use a filler to take up the space.

hp gregory

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wimbish, 10395 View Post
    I would recommend that you use bullets sized .517". While the gun will shoot .515" bullets, there is nothing wrong with using a .517" bullet as I think that it will actually shoot better. I would also recommend that you use soft lead, if you aren't already. I would have a hard time using any bullet sized over .515" in my reduced capacity cases. My First Model Maynard has a chamber that is actually a little tight (only about .001"). Larry says that the chamber reamer wears over time and there is some variation due to this.
    Jim --I have a problem trying to seat a .515 bullet in some of my Maynard brass cases ,none of them will take .516 or a .517, I would like to shoot a .516 but will need to larger expander plug ( I think ).Lyman's plugs for the 50/70 are only .514 so they tell me . My Maynard is an original and i would like to shoot a larger bullet . Do you have any suggestions. Red Leg

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    http://www.buffaloarms.com/.471_and_....aspx?CAT=4169 I know they all say they are on back order but I think they make them to order.

Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina
    Glenn, Let your new cases form to the chamber and step up your bullet sized to .516 or .517 and you will be just fine. I have #26 Romano and my chamber is .550 and I used Charlie Haun cases with a .517 sized bullet. Rich