Thread: Anyone Else Shoot an ERMA Gallager?

Team:
    17th Pennsylvania Volunteer Cavalry
    Region:
    Allegheny - Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia

Anyone Else Shoot an ERMA Gallager?

I'm the proud owner of a beautiful and great shooting ERMA Gallager that i'll be shooting this Spring National at my first skirmish. I was just wandering if anyone else shoots one of these babies. The last national I went to, I was watching my dad and pap shoot, I looked and looked up and down the line and only saw a few Gallagers. I think they're a great carbine and I shoot mine excellent. So if anyone else owns one and shoots it, share your stories and put your 2 cents worth in. Thanks

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin

Shooting the Erma

I shot the Erma Gallager for a while with the original rifling --legend has it the barrel were surplus machine guns*
    which acounted for the very fast micro groove rifleing. This rifling was not the most friendly for black powder*
    shooting and so many have been relined to .50 cal--often by Bobby Hoyt.*

Another problem was misfires caused by the long firing channels. The use of the full power CCI musket caps went a long
    way to overcoming this problem. Another fix to the misfiring problem was to enlarge the flash holes in the brass cases.

When I was shooting the Gallagher it was without the benefit of the above fixes and so I experienced all of the accruracy*
    and misfire problems. If the original rifling is kept then it is best to use much harder lead than we normally do in our sport.

This firearm is extremely well built and can be safely and accruately used --it can also be picked up at prices much lower than
    what the Smiths, Sharps etc. are now going for. *My 2 cents worth!!--Steve W.

Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina
    My first carbine was a Gallager that I bought new for $190, that was a long time ago. I used a Shiloh mold that cast a big heavy bullet which what is generally needed for that fast a twist. As I recall it wanted at least a 35 gr charge. I did very well with it. The only issue I had was with the cost of the tubes and the relatively short life of them due to the very thin neck. I figure I had more money tied up in tubes than in the gun.

That being said, if you are doing well with yours and the load combination, don't pay any attention to naysayers regarding it. Apart from having good equipment for this sport, a major factor is that you need to have faith in your equipment. If you don't believe in it you will be second guessing yourself and gear with every shot you make.

Good luck and good shooting.
    Paul Lampman, 00263V
    Cockade Rifles

Team:
    Region:
    Thanks for the "Gallager talk" ha ha. Ya Pau,l I blow off the naysayers who down talk and say nothing good about these excellent carbines too. Paul, your also correct about the casings, 100 cases cost half as much as the carbine! Steve, i'm lucky because my carbine doesn't have misfires using RWS caps or the old CCI caps, my Gallager has the original micro-groove rifling and I shoot a Rapine 540 300 bullet, molded out of wheelweights, which works exceptionally well out of my gun and my Pap's.

Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio

Erma Gallager

I shot a Erma Gallager for about 7 years before changing to Maynards. I shot 28 grains 3F Goex with a rapine .540 300 grain bullet. I had the problem with misfires as Erma expertly reproduced the weapon with the same 2 90 degree angles in the fire channel as the original. This misfire problem was a complaint during the war. Using the old 6 wing CCI caps helped overcome this. I found keeping the channel clear with flushing with hot water and solvent and being careful not to contaminate the breech chamber with excessive oil (use a Q-tip) also cut down on the number of misfires. The wingless German caps are about as hot as the old CCI caps. The new 4 wing CCI caps may not be hot enough. Also use a nipple with a smaller hole so the fire will be better directed. Good luck.
    Michael Moore, 10261V, St. Mary's Light Infantry

Team:
    Region:
    I never use oil in the rear of the breech simply because of the misfires. Any solvent gets wiped cleaned and I thouroughly clean the nipple and flash hole with solvent and pipe cleaners. Every bit of the flash channel gets cleaned and dried to avoid all problems. I use the 540 300 too with 30gr 3f Goex with wheel weights and not pure lead for the slugs.
    P.S. what made you decide to switch to a Maynard? thanks