Thread: 1861 Springfield question

Region:
    None

1861 Springfield question

Greetings all. Well the BP bug has bitten me pretty bad and I recently purchased a new Armi Sport 1861 Springfield to go along with my Pietta 1860 Army and Uberti 3rd model Dragoon. I am planning on getting the 1861 out to the range tomorrow or the next. After doing a lot of research on firing and loading it I think I have the basics down (hammer to half cock, pour measured powder charge down barrel, lube Minnie and insert into muzzle, tap Minnie down with rod, install musket cap, aim, hammer to full cock and fire). I'll be using .575 dia 566 Gr soft lead Minnes and with a load of 50gr Pyrodex Select RS powder to start with and see how close this gets me on paper. I also understand that you must lube the Minnie prior to inserting it into the barrel. I have some Traditions wonderlube 1000 plus that I am planning on using for this. Without making my own lube, Is this something that will work appropriately for lubing the Minnie or is there something better? I have also read conflicting info that states I should still use some sort of patch or wadding even if using a Minnie. I don't believe this is the case for this type of musket rifle when shooting Minnies, but can anyone confirm this for me? Thanks again for helping out a newbie and any and all other advice would also be greatly appreciated...
    Last edited by barakmd; 03-13-2012 at 07:57 PM.

Team:
    Winslow Battery, 1st New York
    9775V
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    First have you had the bore slugged? It may not use a .575 dia minnie. The size may be bigger or smaller than .575. The minnie should be sized .001 to .002 under the bore dia. Second snap a couple of caps down and one at the ground before loading. The caps down range will make sure the weapon is unloaded and the cap at the ground will show you that the flash channel is clear. Aim the muzzle of the weapon at a blade of grass or other item on the ground and see if it moves. If it moves the flash channel is clear. Leave the hammer down on the last spent cap. It should act to create a vacuum which will kill any sparks in the barrel. Then and only then can you load the weapon. Pour the pre measured charge with the muzzle angled away from your face. Take the minnie in your strong hand held by fore finger and thumb only and slide it over the muzzle then seat the minnie slightly into the muzzle. This will keep you from crossing the muzzle with any part of your hand. Grasp the ram rod with the fore finger and thumb like you did the minnie and let the weight of the start to drive the minnie down the bore. If you meet resistance lift the ram rod and drive it down again paying very careful attention that your hand is not across the muzzle. If you have a cook off the round and powder will cause the ram rod to knock your hand out of the way. you may get a touch burned but you will not have a ram rod or hunk of lead going through your hand or arm. After your first shot leave the hammer down on the spent cap and repeat the loading sequence. Speed will come but be safe first. Hope this helps.
    Matt
    Winslow's Battery D 1st NY LT Artillery 9775v

Team:
    Winslow Battery, 1st New York
    9775V
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    The lube you are using will work. No wadding with Minnies.
    Matt

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Pyrodex

At least in years past Pyrodex wasn't a good choice as a propellant in weapons firing minie balls. Pyrodex tended to burn irregularly if not well compressed behind a tight-fitting projectile; in a muzzleloader this usually meant a patched round ball. Often minies would not expand sufficiently as a result of low-order ignition. Can't speak to newer formulations, but if you get erratic results, try switching to FFg or FFFg black.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Yup, you've pretty much got it down.

For N-SSA shooting, we shoot our bullets "naked", so without any paper cartridge remnants or any other kind of patch.

Your bullets should be lubed. You can use commercial lubes or you can make your own. There are lots of recipies on the web for making your own lube using Crisco and beeswax or paraffin.

For maximum accuracy, you will want to use a sizer to size your bullets. This gives you perfectly round bullets that are exactly sized to fit your bore.

It's hard to take a measurement on a 3-land 3-groove barrel. One thing you can do is buy some bullets in different diameters until you find one that fits well. Basically I use the tightest fitting bullet that I can load without resistance.

You'll then need to experiment with powder charges to find the most accurate combination for whatever bullet you are using. Don't play with the sights until you find the charge that gives you a good consistent group.

I was told Pyrodex was not allowed for N-SSA competition, but I don't know if that is true or not.

Steve

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Also, do not pull the hammer back to half-cock until after firearm is loaded. Always load with the old fired cap held down on the nipple by the hammer.
    14th Miss Inf Rgt, CSA/N-SSA, NRA Life Mbr, no longer shooting

Region:
    None
    Matt, thanks for your detailed safety instructions on loading and I think based on this, I will be loading my rifle with the hammer down. Dave, unfortunately Pyrodex is all I have available at the moment but I should be able to get some Goex in the near future and will definitely give that a try. To everyone else, thanks for your prompt advice and recommendations, I hope you keep them coming and I can't wait to get out and shoot this big ol stick...

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    barakmd - If you post your results, I'm sure you will get more sincere, and well meaning, help than you will know what to do with!

John