Thread: new member

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts

Howdy all,
    After talking to some N-SSA shooters at a local black powder shoot, this past weekend, I have become very intrigued with the idea, you folks seem to be having a lot of fun that I am missing out on.
    I live in the upstate NY area, just south of South of Albany. I could use some guidance on
    the best [most appropriate] guns, equipment to look for, area sutlers, gunmakers, organizations, etc., to get me started,
    I have been a shooter for many years in varying disciplines, including Black powder rifles and pistols, so I have the basics
    covered, just need info on N-SSA specifics. If there a thread on this that my searches did not turn up please forgive me, call me a dummy and send me in the right direction, I am not the most forum literate guy around. Thanks in advance for any help.

Team:
    12th Regiment Pennsylvania Reserve Volunteers
    Region:
    Allegheny - Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia
    Hello Slowfire, I would suggest you contact John Holland. He lives in Buffalo and has a great amount of knowledge that he is very willing to hand out. Just post and ask John to contact you or give you his contact info.

Good luck and welcome.

Fred 12TH PA

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Hello slow,

I'm pretty new to all this myself.

Here's my piece of advice: Don't buy anything without checking with your team commander.

When you buy a gun, don't buy anything without seeing a target that represents the owner's best grouping he can shoot with it off of a bench.

I bought a Euroarms P1853 Enfield off of Gunbroker. It was a dog. I've spent $2000 on it so far. In the end I put a new Whitacre barrel on it to make it a shooter. It was an expensive lesson.

Steve

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Slowfire -

Having just read Fred's complimentary words, here I am!

Welcome to the N-SSA's bulletin board, and to the N-SSA as a potential member! The area you have indicated you live in is what is known as the "New-England Region", which is abbreviated "E-N". It is comprised of pretty much everything in New York State east of Utica, NY, all the way over to the Atlantic Ocean, except for the NYC area. Their Regional Commander is Ed Moore, who will be more than glad to help you fit in.

Please contact me direct via email, my address is jh44ny (at) verizon.net, just substitute @ for (at) (the reason being to prevent auto-harvesting of email addresses) and I will put you in contact with Ed Moore.

I am the Chairman of the N-SSA's Small Arms Committee and will be happy try to answer any questions you may have on Civil War arms.

John

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    PM sent. Will help you contact New England teams
    Lou Lou Lou Ruggiero
    Tammany Regt-42nd NYVI

Standing on the ROCK sheilded by the LIGHT
    Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by slowfire View Post
    Howdy all,
    After talking to some N-SSA shooters at a local black powder shoot, this past weekend, I have become very intrigued with the idea, you folks seem to be having a lot of fun that I am missing out on.
    I live in the upstate NY area, just south of South of Albany. I could use some guidance on
    the best [most appropriate] guns, equipment to look for, area sutlers, gunmakers, organizations, etc., to get me started,
    I have been a shooter for many years in varying disciplines, including Black powder rifles and pistols, so I have the basics
    covered, just need info on N-SSA specifics. If there a thread on this that my searches did not turn up please forgive me, call me a dummy and send me in the right direction, I am not the most forum literate guy around. Thanks in advance for any help.
    SENT YOU a pm not sure it went thru. send me your Email address. I'm w/ the 14th va we hav a few guys in your area. I'm up in No. Harspersfield most weekend. hav my own range on my property. will be there this weekend. Not to far for you to we can get together someweekend. email my cwtechy@optonline.net
    14th VA Cav.
    " No man has ever been shot in the back doing dishes"