Thread: Good load for Henry .45 LC

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas

Good load for Henry .45 LC

Anyone have a good accurate load for a .45LC Henry? I have an Uberti that I can't seem to get to group. Using 250gr bullet sized to .452 which seems just right. Tried different powder loads with minimal difference. Does consistently seem to shoot low no matter how much I take down the front sight. May be a bad barrel but want to get an idea of what people who've gotten the 45 to shoot well have used first.

Thanks...

Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    gtfratboy,

I acquired a Henry 45LC a few years ago, same problem, no matter what I did, be it different bullets and/or powder I could not get it to group. I was advised by other fellow members of the N-SSA to get the barrel re-lined. Apparantly, the rate of twist in the 45LC Henry is for modern smokeless jacketed ammunition which is a faster twist rate than the lead bullets we shoot, can handle. I then had Bob Hoyt re-line the barrel for me, who also agreed he had to employ a slower rate of twist for the 45LC for our purposes in black powder shooting w/lead bullets. That was about 2 years ago, and I believe the re-line job cost around $125.00

Here is Bob's address and phone number if you are interested. Hope this helps you.

Robert Hoyt700 Fairfield Station Rd
    Fairfield, PA 17320-9756
    (717) 642-6696
    Francis J. Miller Jr. (Herb)
    Lancaster Fencibles / 79th PVI
    Middle Atlantic Region
    153-MA - 2601V
    Middle Atlantic Region Provost Marshal
    N-SSA National Provost Guard

Team:
    8th Regiment Virginia Volunteers
    10395V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

Lead bullets aren't the problem

I bought a Henry in 45 LC a number of years ago and have shot it just fine with lead bullets and smokeless pistol powder. I haven't bothered with black powder since I don't shoot the gun at NSSA matches. The bullet that I use is a Lee .452" tumble lube truncated cone design with slightly hard lead and liquid Alox as the lube. Bullet weight is 240 grains and the powder charge is 10.5 grains of Accurate No. 5 pistol powder. Same charge works great in my Ruger Vaquero in 45 LC. I also tried a SWC design, but it didn't feed well from the magazine. I believe that the problem with the 45 LC is black powder fouling and not the lead bullets. It sure doesn't have any problems if you use smokeless powder!
    Last edited by Jim Wimbish, 10395; 02-24-2012 at 12:30 PM.

Team:
    110th Ohio Voluneer Infantry
    11444V
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    FYI, I have a friend that shoots Black as a cowboy shooter. In his repeater, he loads a 1/8" lube "cookie" over the powder under the bullet. Works fine for him. You will need a card wad between the powder and lube. Yes, I know it'a a PITA, but cheaper than a reline and worth a try.

Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    I use a 300 grain 45/70 bullet in mine from better bullets . com. they are sized down to 452 with spg lube. they are loaded with 23grns of 3f goex, 3 grns of corn meal and a felt wad on top. it is a lot of work to load, but i have National medals to prove that it works. can shoot a ten shot group off the bench punching out the 10 ring. the smaller bullets would not shoot in my gun either. this bullet was found by luck at a sporting goods store. it was all he had left when i was there. good luck
    comp#11604 DEL BLUES

Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Fratboy,

Let me check my numbers - I too have a 45LC henry that I had given up on until I got some help from a fellow member.

Its a Lee mold, I'll check the 3F load. No filler, bullet compresses the powder.

I use Neutrogena lube, but I'm thinking of trying the Alox route.

I medaled first time out at Nationals....

I'll check tonight and get back to you. Don't throw that gun away!!

-Mike
    Mike 'Bootsie' Bodner
    Palmetto Sharpshooter's, Commander
    9996V

Region:
    I fell asleep at the switch - Forgot to check the numbers last night.

Will try tonight (I wrote myself a note)

-Mike
    Mike 'Bootsie' Bodner
    9996V

Region:
    Here's the skinny on what I use:

Lyman mould: 45cal 250 gr. #2660664 On the side of the mold it reads: Lyman 452664CV. Size is .452 You can find them on the 'net
    33-34 gr Fffg (3F) powder. No filler (Load will be compressed)

I lube the bullet with the Neutregena lube, then size it to .452. After I seat the bullet, I wipe off the excess lube from the bullet head.

I cast wheel weights. The number of grooves in the barrel is high, so it wants a bullet similar to hard-cast smokeless cartridges.

I hadn't shot this gun for 7 years 'cause it couldn't hit squat until I tried the Lyman bullet. It holds a lot of lube, and that made all the difference.

Good luck

-Mike
    Mike 'Bootsie' Bodner
    9996V