Thread: P1853 Enfield info request

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin

P1853 Enfield info request

I am acquiring my second original P1853 Enfield and would like recommendations on the best books out
    there that would give detailed info on the different models and makers. This one came out of the Birmingham small
    arms trade. I've found some good info on the web but still prefer books if I can get a good one.

Thanks for any help.

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    "The British Soldier's Firearm", by Dr. C.H. Roads, copyright 1964, ISBN 1-884849-13-X.

"British Military Longarms", by D.W. Bailey, copyright 1972, no ISBN, printed in England.

These are not new books by any means, but I find myself referring to them on a regular basis.

Another is "The Civil War Musket, a Handbook for Historical Accuracy - Lock, Stock, and Barrel", by Craig L. Barry, copyright 2011.

This one has a very good section on the original P-53, and repro P-53's and how to upgrde them to better resemble an original.

JDH

Team:
    NA
    Region:

Thanks John!!

Quote Originally Posted by John Holland View Post
    "The British Soldier's Firearm", by Dr. C.H. Roads, copyright 1964, ISBN 1-884849-13-X.

"British Military Longarms", by D.W. Bailey, copyright 1972, no ISBN, printed in England.

These are not new books by any means, but I find myself referring to them on a regular basis.

Another is "The Civil War Musket, a Handbook for Historical Accuracy - Lock, Stock, and Barrel", by Craig L. Barry, copyright 2011.

This one has a very good section on the original P-53, and repro P-53's and how to upgrde them to better resemble an original.

JDH
    John --As usual you are a great source --I am buying one of these books now and inter library loaning a scond. Decided that*
    I better educate myself since I can't resist buying an original when it is not a budget buster. I also love the balance and "feel" of the*
    originals after so many years of shooting the repro's. Thanks again --Steve

Region:
    Visitor
    Have a look at the Enfield Rifle Resource List on my web site: http://www.researchpress.co.uk/firea...ield/index.htm

This will give you some further pointers for research. It is not an exhaustive list, but what I have in my personal library.

David
    David Minshall - www.researchpress.co.uk - www.facebook.com/ResearchPress
    Firearms, long range target shooting and associated history

Team:
    NA
    Region:

Thanks and a new question

Quote Originally Posted by dbm View Post
    Have a look at the Enfield Rifle Resource List on my web site: http://www.researchpress.co.uk/firea...ield/index.htm

This will give you some further pointers for research. It is not an exhaustive list, but what I have in my personal library.

David
    David--Thanks for the excellent list of resources. I have a London Armoury P1853 *1862 with many of the parts marked with
    A WD with an arrow pointed up--there is no opposing arrow which I beleive would mean the part was sold out of service.
    What does this mark indicate?

Thanks again for the resource list---Steve

Team:
    34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry
    10605V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Steve,

The Broad Arrow mark is a British government ownership mark. These items were often stamped before the gun was assembled. If the locks were older non-interchangeable parts, they may have been sold back to the gun trade without having the Broad Arrow canceled.

-Mike
    "Stay on target...stay on target..." Red Leader, Battle of Yavin

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

new addition to an older thread

Here's another, fairy recent book. It's an "Osprey" book- "THE PATTERN 1853 ENFIELD RIFLE" by Peter Smithhurst. The book is small, only 80 pages but, reasonably well illustrated and detailed. It covers related and short rifles, carbines, and accessories too. It also looks at where, when, how used and by whom.

I haven't seen those other books/sources listed by others but, it's a pretty detailed source in a small package.

Team:
    NA
    Region:

P1853 Enfield book

As a follow up to my request for good P1853 books I acquired Craig l. Barry's book and was able to
    verify all the markings on my Original P1853 down to the barrel maker and BSA roundel on the stock.
    It was also an enjoyable book to read .--Steve

Region:
    Visitor
    Be a regular visitor to College Hill Arsenals web page. http://collegehillarsenal.com/store/

Tim puts a lot of great information about each Enfield he sells. Check out the previously sold items also. Some of the info you will find is not in any books (yet).
    Jim Mayo

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas

Broad Arrow mark

Another book that you might like to have on hand is Ian D. Skennerton (2001) The Broad Arrow: British and Empire Factory Production, Proof, Inspection, Armourers, Unit & Issue Markings.
    First Cousin (7 times removed) to Brigadier General Stand Watie (1806-1871), CSA
    1st Cherokee Mounted Rifles | Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation 1862-66