Thread: Reproduction 1861 Springfield Questions

Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin

Reproduction 1861 Springfield Questions

I am kind of new to Civil war era rifles, and I would like to know what the best Reproduction 1861 Springfield is for shooting accuracy and for the price.

also which would be the best rifling twist for both a mini ball and that could shoot a round ball good.

Thank you

Ryan

Team:
    24th Georgia Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina

Repro '61

The Pedersoli '61 is probably the finest on the market. Pedersoli barrels have a reputation for superb accuracy. If you "Google" the Pedersoli website, the latest issue of the Pedersoli e-magazine [you can download it from their website] has a write-up on the their Model 1861. The downside is that Pedersoli guns to be a bit pricey.

I would suggest you avoid the Armi Sport replica 1861, I had one of their replica 1855's and its barrel was so grossly overweight that the gun weighed in excess of 12 pounds! If their '61 barrels are the same way, then you don't want one.

You might also want to check the "Buy/Sell/Trade" page of this website. Generally Skirmisher guns are very well cared for and an additional bonus is that many have already been "accurized." Often these fine arms are priced less than brand new arms. If you do buy a second-hand gun, get an inspection privilege with it.

GOOD LUCK

Team:
    15th Connecticut Volunteer Infantry
    2078V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts

M1861 Springfield Reproductions

Ryan,
    Since 1990 I've been shooting a Dixie Gun Works M1861 Springfield that they imported from Japan (Miroku). Still shoots well. Dixie discontinued these rifle-muskets a few years ago and now offer the Pedersoli version. You may be able to find a Japanese M1861 at a reasonable price on the used market. Original M1861 rifle-muskets and I believe most of the reproductions have a 1:72 twist rate with 3 lands & grooves. Some have progressive depth rifling but it is relatively shallow rifling compared to a round ball rifle. Rifle-muskets were designed to fire just one type of projectile, the Minie bullet. Some skirmishers are also getting good results with Wilkinson compression bullets. The rifling twist and depth in these firearms is not really optimum for firing patched round balls.
    Jim Burgess, 15th Conn. Vol. Inf.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    I'll tell ya this much: I will be hard pressed to buy another used firearm without seeing at least a photo of targets it has shot from a bench at 50 and 100 yards.

Steve

Region:
    i have been looking at one to complment my Colt Army pistol i have.

where would be a good place to buy one from at a reasonable cost if i was to buy one new?

Region:

See first

Go to Whitewater WI. You can see a wide selection of CW weapons at Lodgewood MFG. Best to see first hand before you buy.

Team:
    24th Georgia Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina

Lodgewood Manufacturing

You can "Google" up the website of Lodgewood Manufacturing to see what they have in stock. If you decide to go and visit them, I would suggest that you call ahead and make sure that the store will be open on the day you drive over there. Sometimes they are out of town going to guns shows, conventions, etc.

The people at Lodgewood are good people to do business with.

Region:

Repro 1861 Springfield

Ryan,
    I purchased a Euroarms 1861 Springfield about one year ago just prior to their cessation of production. At first I couldn't get a load to shoot worth a darn out of it. Finally, after speaking with several people who cast boolits on a forum by that name, I tried the Lyman 575213OS bullet. I measured, weighed, sized and lubed each one. I tried Goex 2F powder, and what do you know, that thing can shoot. If you can find a Euroarms at a reasonable price, I'd say try it.

Region:
    that you for the suggestions guys, i will have a look at them over the next few days