Thread: Target Grade Rear Sights

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas

Target Grade Rear Sights

I had a question regarding rear sights such as a tang sight or modern adjustable barrel mounted rear sights. I have a Colt 2 band w/Hoyt barrel and high front sight, and wanted to mount a more user friendly rear sight. Are there any sights anyone can recommend? This would not be a skirmish rifle. More of a hunting/target rifle. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Team:
    110th Ohio Voluneer Infantry
    11444V
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    Raymo,

If your gun is shooting well now, don't fix what's not broken. You might want to widen the rear open, or enlarge the rear aperture; otherwise, don't mess with a good thing. Many, many deer have fallen to as Skirmished muskets with target loads.

Region:

Target Grade Sights ?

I would suggest you think about installing a blank leaf in your Colt base and drilling a peep. You can get a blank peep from Nick Breevort at the Nashville CW show in December or by mail and a drill guide from Ggompf.com for $100.00 that is adjustable for windage and elevation to drill the blank peep. I doubt you will get the type accuracy wanted out of a musket at long range like smaller bore guns. Dixie has a nice .451 lined original P-56 I sold them last year that might would work better. Just my thoughts to consider. Good Luck;Ken Chrestman,7147VFEC, Tennessee
    Ken Chrestman

Region:
    Thanks for the information. Southron has been coaching me with the glass bed project, and I will complete that by next week. After that is done, I'll test her out and see if there is an improvement in accuracy. My biggest concern is getting a reasonable group from which I can adjust the front sight. I have tried just about everything. I cast my own...RCBS Hogdon, soft lead, .576 and size and lube on a Lyman 4500. I weigh and mic each bullet so I know it ain't the bullets or lube. I know it ain't the barrel because it is a brand new Hoyt, 7 groove 1-60" twist. My last option after bedding will be rear sights. I have tried various powders as well, so if it don't shoot, I'm sellin it.